Starter Ring Gear Reversal

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
neonwall

Starter Ring Gear Reversal

Post by neonwall »

Hey all,

I whip back I bought a 1986 BMW R80RT, Ever since I bought it it intermittently makes a horrible noise whilst starting. Decided I should do something about it and looks like the Bendix drive on the stater is not engaging with some of the teeth on the starter ring. Looking at the ring, typically the teeth are worn fairly badly in one spot. Assumedly due to the compression of the engine frequently stopping the ring in the same place.

Iv'e taken the Clutch carrier out with ring gear attached and what I wanting to know is if it is possible to remove the starer ring and effectively flip it over so the the starter engaes with with "new" teeth on the other side. Looking at it it looks like the clutch carrier is fixed to the ring via 6 pins and has been heated shrunk in place....

Anyone aware if the pins are able to be removed from the starter ring?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
Pins 5.11.24 PM.jpg
Pins 5.11.24 PM.jpg (113.68 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Clutch Carrier Side.jpg
Clutch Carrier Side.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Clutch Carrier Side.jpg
Clutch Carrier Side.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Last edited by neonwall on Mon May 28, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1986 BMW R80RT
Beemerboff

Re: Starter Ring Gear Reversal

Post by Beemerboff »

I would try and find a secondhand one,
And a new starter.
Seth

Post by Seth »

When you remove the flywheel, make sure you block the front of the crankshaft so it doesn’t shift forward or you will be in big trouble. Most people unscrew the bolt on the center of the alternator and have it stay in the threads of the rotor. Then put the cover back on to press on it. Also, disconnect the battery before removing the front cover or else you can fry the diode board.

I agree...get a used flywheel. For example:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R80RT-R100T- ... 0935.m2460
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Cheers yep I blocked the rotor to stop the thrust washer dropping of its pins. Could go used, just figure if its possible to pop the pins with a little heat and flip over should be a bit cheaper? good to know there are fairly cost effective ways to pick up a second hand one though!
1986 BMW R80RT
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

should point out that I live in NZ, so shipping costs are a killer
1986 BMW R80RT
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

The ring gear teeth have a bevelled lead in. The bevel can look like wear when it isn't. Of course you may have wear on top of that.....
If you were to swap the ring gear ass about, you'd need to recreate the bevels.
I'd find a replacement.

Got a good pic?
Lord of the Bings
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Thanks good to know., pics should be attached to original post? looks like if I can't flip it next cheapest option is to have it rebuilt by a restoration place. I think the weld up new tips and reshape.

Can anyone see the pics?
1986 BMW R80RT
richard t

Post by richard t »

look on ebay
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

What am I doing asking for pics!!
Yes, definitely worn. So it's a replacement ring gear and a new bendix to complete.
Seriously, those ring gears should be available from someone in NZ.
Perhaps ask on ADV rider forum, there are a few from NZ there, or 'Facebook airheads down under' plenty there too.
Less than 50 bucks should get you one in good shape.
Lord of the Bings
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Perfect thanks will ask around! You positive about the bevel on the one side of starter ring gear teeth?
Having a look at the ring I can't see any markings to denote orientation and close inspection of non damaged teeth doesn't seem to have any bevel on? I can't quite tell but it feels like the teeth may have some angle on them as the sit on the ring gear, very slight if its there...
1986 BMW R80RT