Clutch Pressure Plate

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
hudson

Re: Clutch Pressure Plate

Post by hudson »

Those were the ones I ordered. I only asked because the compression/pressure ring looks different some others I've seen in several tutorials, so I didn't know if thickness varied. Not sure on clutch mileage - it was in there when I bought the bike a few years back. I'll get to measuring.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I know it's a chunk of change, but with some unknown mileage, I'd be inclined to replace the whole pack. Certainly that's peace of mind...and you won't need to be back in there in say 100K miles. It's a finances call, but I sure hate doing that job sooner...I'd rather do it later. :lol:

Kurt in S.A.
Duane Ausherman

Re: Clutch Pressure Plate - Updated

Post by Duane Ausherman »

hudson wrote:Hey Gents - I got to working on the "ol girl this weekend. I got the clutch "slot" screws out. I had do drill one out, the others required tapping the at the edge of the slot counter-clockwise until it loosened. Can I use the replacement clutch bolts (ending in part # 463) from MaxBMW?

Anyway, the reason for getting the clutch out in the first place is to get at the RMS. Between the oil and the clutch dust, it is a mess in there!

My question is what can I use to clean off clutch parts? Can they be submerged or should they just be wiped clean? If anyone has the specs for the plates normal thickness range, please pass along. I would prefer to reuse instead of replacing the entire clutch assembly.

Thanks so much!

Hudson
You may clean the friction plate off with any degreaser. They don't absorb oil like the /2 friction plates did. Wash up the parts, measure them and replace as needed and assemble. Go riding.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Thanks Duane!