regarding rear shocks

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Re: regarding rear shocks

Post by Zombie Master »

Beemerboff wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:12 pm You could try the TEC English web site, they have cheap and cheerful shocks , some BMW specific.
I have the top line fully adjustable piggy back ones which work well for me.
Old Konis are usually seized togerher and parts are expensive so rebuilds are most likely going to cost mere than a pair of the top line TECs.
I looked at that site. These have to be China or Taiwan. I could be wrong, but they look pretty cheesy.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Taiwan is the source of many airhead products, including the latest electronic ignition stuff. Not necessarily to be sneezed at these days.

Best referral is from users I'd expect, those that have subjected them to some abuse.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Just because a product is assembled in Europe does not exclude the majority of the components being sourced from another part of the world.
And I think Ohlins is now owned by an Asian company too, so who knows where their parts originate.
As I said I have them on my R75/7, and am happy with the quality and performance.
I have an Ohlins on my 80 G/S, 100 GS and F650 so I am fussy about shock performance, and know enough to understand that to get the best out of them you have to make similar improvements to the forks.
And have ditched a White Power and Technoflex to fit them.
I have fitted the softest OEM 36 mm fork springs with 5wt synth suspension fluid and 30 mm less air gap and dialed in the TECs to suit this, with TEC's softest spring.
And it all works to my complete satisfaction.
There may be better shocks around , at somewhere between three and six times the price of the TECs, but to get the full benefit from them you would probably have to spend the same again upgrading the forks to match.

TECs specialty is parts for the current Triumphs, including including shocks, so a search on a Triumph forum might give you a better idea on how the shocks perform and stand up.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Bill Smith wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 am I've got Hagons on my R100, much better than the worn out ones they replaced.
I second the vote for Hagons and here's why...
1) They are really good shocks and well worth your money. I've had them on my dual shock R100 for over 2 years (30K miles) and they are excellent.
2) A friend of mine rode a pair across the US to a rally in CA. The springs they had supplied weren't heavy enough for all his luggage (he actually had a 5 gal fuel tank on the rack !), so Hagon-USA drop shipped him a new pair of springs to him OVERNIGHT at the rally... FREE. Say what you will, that's excellent CS.
3) If you'll call Hagon-USA with your weight and average luggage weight they'll specially spring a set just for you... at no extra charge.
Bill Smith wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 am I think Capital Cycle had the best price when I bought them.

► I believe if you'll check most everybody sells Hagon for the same price.
If you order from Capitol you'll simply be getting what they have sitting on the shelf. I'd much rather call Hagon-USA and have springs installed that are tailored to MY weight... not the average weight of the average US rider.

► I despise Capitol's CS and won't ever buy from them again.

► I have an Ikon shock on my '88 RS and in six (6) phone calls and emails to them they couln't suggest a better spring. Their final answer from the CS Manager was to start buying $70 springs until I found one I liked. Unbelievable as it is, they could not discuss the technical aspects of rear springs ! They told me the spring I had was not what they usually sold for the single-sided BMW, but they could not tell me which one they would suggest for average load of 200 lbs. If any of you want a low mileage Ikon rear shock for your single-sided BMW let me know ! I've had it with them too !!
Last edited by Wobbly on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
richard t

Post by richard t »

Wobbly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 pm
Bill Smith wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 am I've got Hagons on my R100, much better than the worn out ones they replaced.
I second the vote for Hagons and here's why...
1) They are really good shocks and well worth your money. I've had them on my dual shock R100 for over 2 years (30K miles) and they are excellent.
2) A friend of mine rode a pair across the US to a rally in CA. The springs they had supplied weren't heavy enough for all his luggage (he actually had a 5 gal fuel tank on the rack !), so Hagon-USA drop shipped him a new pair of springs to him OVERNIGHT at the rally... FREE. Say what you will, that's excellent CS.
3) If you'll call Hagon-USA with your weight and average luggage weight they'll specially spring a set just for you... at no extra charge.
Bill Smith wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 am I think Capital Cycle had the best price when I bought them.

I believe if you'll check most everybody sells Hagon for the same price.
If you order from Capitol you'll simply be getting what they have sitting on the shelf. I'd much rather call Hagon-USA and have springs installed that are tailored to MY weight... not the average weight of the average US rider.

I despise Capitol's CS and won't ever buy from them again.

I have an Ikon shock on my '88 RS and in six (6) phone calls and emails to them they couln't suggest a better spring. Their final answer from the CS Manager was to start buying $70 springs until I found one I liked. Unbelievable as it is, they could not discuss the technical aspects of rear springs ! If any of you want a low mileage Ikon rear shock for your single-sided BMW let me know ! I've had it with them too.
I've bought a couple pair from Dave Quinn. Good service and price.
Rob

Post by Rob »

richard t wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm I've bought a couple pair from Dave Quinn. Good service and price.
What is really neat about Dave Quinn (besides a great shock at a reasonable price) is that when you call the number (203-393-2651), Dave, himself, answers!
Rob V
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

That's nothing. When you call Hagon, Mrs Hagon answers ! :lol:
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Seth

Post by Seth »

I put a set of Ikons on my 75 CB400F, mostly because they were much better than stock and fit with the stock chain guard. Worked with Dave to get them and have had no problems. Dave was excellent to deal with.

I have old Konis on a 75 R90S, 77 R100RS and 77 R100S. They are maybe a little soft, but not bad.

But at the AHRMA races I attend, lots of people run the Hagons. I’ve been considering getting into racing a CB350 and would definitely use the Hagons. T
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

In Oz Maxton seem to have the classic race scene to themselves. And I believe it is the same in the UK.
With serious racers , of course.
They will build you a pair of custom shocks for around the same price as Ikons, around half the cost of alternative top line shocks.
Only problem is that you have to know what you want, they dont have any standard shocks!
dirtsurfer

Post by dirtsurfer »

'strewth! A bloke is spoiled for choice. I have opted for the ebolts from the UK this time around. I'll see how they go. If they perform better than leaky progressives then I'm in front.