Removing Spark Plug Wires

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
lskbike

Removing Spark Plug Wires

Post by lskbike »

I am replacing the OEM spark plug wires on my 89 R100RT. My experience with other vehicles has found that a firm pull on the wires would remove them from the coils (or distributor cap in older autos). I attempted to remove the old wires from the coil on my bike with a firm tug but found no success... They seem to be somehow mechanically attached inside the coils (I can't believe that they would be). Although I feel I just need to just pull harder to remove them, being an anal retentive, overly cautious person, I thought I would post on this forum and ask those of you with experience and confirm, do I just pull them harder to remove or does BMW have some "secret" method of releasing them? Direction on this would be greatly appreciated!!! I certainly don't want to screw up my coil... Thanks in advance!
George Ryals

Re: Removing Spark Plug Wires

Post by George Ryals »

Try twisting they counterclockwise. Some coils have a center threaded post that the HT cable "screws" down onto.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
lskbike

Re: Removing Spark Plug Wires

Post by lskbike »

Geroge... Thanks for the recommendation but twisting the wires counterclockwise to unscrew and pulling outward, didn't work on this bike, so I removed the coil so I could take a look down into the spark plug wire holes to see if I could see what was the problem! The Bottom line... I actually had to mount the coil in my work bench vise holding it by its mounting bracket, spray a little WD 40 down both holes and then I had to pull extremely hard to get them out. After much effort in pulling, they both popped out. Wow... never had that much difficulty removing spark plug wires before in anything... Oh Well! Nothing goes as easy as you plan...