New to BMW

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jskafff

New to BMW

Post by jskafff »

Hey all,

Found this forum while researching info on my newly acquired project and figured I'd post and introduce myself. I was running some errands around town on my scooter when I passed the steal of all steals on the side of the road with a 'For Sale' sign. An hour later, I called the guy and pushed it the mile to my house. Didn't want to waste time trying to get a truck or trailer which payed off. Someone else came with a trailer by the time I got 2 houses down.

Super excited to start digging into this bike. Same-family owned since '74 off the showroom floor. He even still had the original title on which I am now the second official owner! He says it ran perfectly its entire life, but he stopped riding about 8 years ago and it's been in his garage since. He didn't do a great job of prepping it for storage and the motor seems iffy right now but for $200 I couldn't pass it up. It turned over once and then got stuck so hopefully it's just some surface corrosion and not something more serious. I'll know more in the coming weeks when I have time to go over it some more.

melville

Re: New to BMW

Post by melville »

Oh Hell Yes!

Well done for $200. Welcome to the board!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I bought a truck a few years back that had sat for a long time, could not turn the crank a complete 360 degrees. Pulled the plugs and put a bunch of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, freed up after sitting for a few days. You may have to lean the bike on each side and get oil in there to seep down to free the rings.

good buy and good luck getting her running again,
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Welcome aboard. And well done getting a proper '74 /6 at such a bargain price. Money will need to be spent along the way but there will be a lot of fun too.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Rob

Post by Rob »

And congratulations on finding THE BEST forum for getting your airhead running again!
Rob V
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

$200! :o
I think the appropriate thing to say is "ride it like ya stole it...'cause ya did!"
Willkommen und congrats!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
jskafff

Post by jskafff »

Thanks all for the love. From what I've seen online and people I've talked to in person, it seems like these bikes have a good group of followers.

I already ordered the service manual and some bike-specific tools. I'm good mechanically but I want to make sure I do this bike right as I definitely don't plan on getting rid of it. So far my weekend plan is to pull the gas tank, check the lines, inspect/clean the carbs assuming they still look ok, and try and free up the motor a bit. Assuming the motor frees up, maybe start stripping some of the bodywork to check for frame cracks and rust. From what I can see so far though, the frame looks solid. The brakes, clutch, and shifter all work (aside from feeling like crap right now). I'm trying not to get my hopes up about how much will be needed to get it to start, but with only 30,000mi on the bike I'm crossing my fingers the motor is mostly good to go.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Looks like the bike has a drum brake in front, Is it a 600 or a 750 model? Definitely change all the fluids, flush out the tank, maybe have to replace fuel lines. That dried up fuel can be a problem, can harden like a rock.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
jskafff

Post by jskafff »

jagarra wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:23 am Looks like the bike has a drum brake in front, Is it a 600 or a 750 model? Definitely change all the fluids, flush out the tank, maybe have to replace fuel lines. That dried up fuel can be a problem, can harden like a rock.
I believe a 600, and yeah it has drums front and back. I figure as much about the lines. If the guy didn't bother fully draining the tank I doubt he bothered to clear out the carbs and lines either :cry:
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Welcome! Best thing is, you won't have to ride a scooter anymore!
Any and all disclaimers may apply