Ain't broke but...,

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Ain't broke but...,

Post by Zombie Master »

84 R100S So while I have things apart I was wondering; should I take coil wires and Spark plug leads off and do a clean up? I could cut a bit off the spark plug leads and reinstall with dielectric grease. Or am I courting a problem? :ugeek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dwerbil

Re: Ain't broke but...,

Post by dwerbil »

I'd do a clean up just for preventive maintenance. On the cutting part, probably wouldn't hurt much; not much to doing it.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Rob

Post by Rob »

To hell with dielectric grease, use that copper anti-seize!
Rob V
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Rob wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm To hell with dielectric grease, use that copper anti-seize!
Rob, just so you know, dielectric grease is non-conductive. That is the point of it - it seals the immediate area around a conductive joint, preventing oxidation, etc
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Airbear wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 am
Rob wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm To hell with dielectric grease, use that copper anti-seize!
Rob, just so you know, dielectric grease is non-conductive. That is the point of it - it seals the immediate area around a conductive joint, preventing oxidation, etc
And the copper a-s does that and more! Providing one of God's favorite (affordable) paths for electricity.

That would be the God that favors mining from the ground and polluting our ecosystem.
Rob V
Steve in Golden

Re: Dielectric Grease

Post by Steve in Golden »

I've never used dielectric grease, perhaps I should be. I don't know much about it so I consulted the oracle of Google (Duane would be proud). Here's an interesting article about it.

Dielectric Grease vs Conductive Grease
Rob

Post by Rob »

Steve in Golden wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:34 pm I've never used dielectric grease, perhaps I should be. I don't know much about it so I consulted the oracle of Google (Duane would be proud). Here's an interesting article about it.

W8ji wrote:Both dielectric grease and "conductive" greases (anti-seize) are insulators. The primary difference between dielectric greases and "conductive" greases is that "conductive" greases and anti-seize greases include some amount of finely-powdered metal. The finely powdered metal is suspended by insulating grease, so it does not conduct. The suspended metal powder does lower the voltage breakdown of any arc paths through the grease.
So much for what I know! :roll:
Last edited by Rob on Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob V
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Duane wrote that page? Wow, he really gets around.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Steve in Golden wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:55 pm Duane wrote that page? Wow, he really gets around.
:lol:

Shit!

I thought he had been busy. What with the "new look" on his website,
and from your mention of his name, I "assumed" that you had sourced his website... :roll:

edit: I edited my quote
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:34 pm I've never used dielectric grease, perhaps I should be. I don't know much about it so I consulted the oracle of Google (Duane would be proud). Here's an interesting article about it.

Good read Steve thanx!
Any and all disclaimers may apply