Bolting up drive shaft

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Re: Bolting up drive shaft

Post by Zombie Master »

Airbear wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 am
O, you'll repack the bearings before fitting the pivots, won't you? I have a greasing adapter for the swing-arm bearings - great for refreshing the grease at service time - but would not miss the chance to clean and repack when the arm is off the bike.
Wouldn't I want to grease them after the pre-load is set?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Nup, grease them up first. Do you know how to pack bearings by hand? Difficult to explain, but I'm sure there'll be a youtube vid to explain.
Wearing light rubber gloves makes the job easier and is of course safer for your skin.
Lord of the Bings
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

ME 109 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm Nup, grease them up first. Do you know how to pack bearings by hand? Difficult to explain, but I'm sure there'll be a youtube vid to explain.
Wearing light rubber gloves makes the job easier and is of course safer for your skin.
Why would I want to remove those bearings from the swing arm at this point? I've got the tapered tip grease gun. They have always been greased. I know I am the PO!
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Zombie Master wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:09 pm
ME 109 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm Nup, grease them up first. Do you know how to pack bearings by hand? Difficult to explain, but I'm sure there'll be a youtube vid to explain.
Why would I want to remove those bearings from the swing arm at this point? I've got the tapered tip grease gun. They have always been greased. I know I am the PO!
Ah, typical lazy bastard PO. It happens. Now is your chance, as a caring Current Owner, to put things right. Greasing with a tapered tip grease gun attachment will squirt new grease into the bearing but it is unlikely to push out all the dirt and dried grease. Any remaining contaminants will be working against you. It doesn't take long to wash out the bearing, clean out the bearing cup inside the swing-arm and repack the bearing with nice new grease, which you can then top up with the grease gun at normal service intervals.

I'm guessing that this is currently inconvenient because of your stage of assembly. Don't sweat, mark it down for next time you have the swing-arm out.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I used up lots of new grease pumping out the old bad stuff. All this work and the splines were just fine with molly still there after a quarter century.
airway

Post by airway »

I just always use a 10mm 12 pt spanner and give 'er a really good "oomph" of torque . I don't think ft lbs or NM is that critical. Never had a problem in many times of doing it.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Airbear wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:18 pm Don't sweat, mark it down for next time you have the swing-arm out.
or 25 years, whichever comes first.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65