New Toaster

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
dwerbil

Re: New Toaster

Post by dwerbil »

Congrats on the toaster, and welcome to the forum!
This should get you started for a manual...
http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/slash_5

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Welcome aboard, Mottseng. Well done getting yourself a good Toaster. Pics would be nice - I'm a SlashFive Tragic.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Mottseng

Post by Mottseng »

Many thanks for the info.
1973 75/5
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Mottseng wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 pm Many thanks for the info.
Well, I didn't contribute any any info on the subject. But what the hell. You're welcome.

And Welcome to Boxerworks.

Ken

Post by tsa »

Have you checked

http://5united.org ?

Esp. unter* the link "articles" there is some technical info.

*unintended typo I don't want to correct . . .
--
'73 R75/5, '78 R80/7, '83 R80RT
Mottseng

Post by Mottseng »

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I finally had the opportunity to take it for a few mile test drive. During this the bike stalled several times and it is sputtering and won't idle at a stop. I suspect the carbs need to be rebuilt and set up. Also, after riding it for a few miles my right wrist is killing me due to the very stiff throttle. I suppose all this is normal stuff when purchasing a vintage bike.
1973 75/5
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

It's go nothing to do with being vintage...just neglect.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Mottseng wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 10:43 am Thanks all for the warm welcome. I finally had the opportunity to take it for a few mile test drive. During this the bike stalled several times and it is sputtering and won't idle at a stop. I suspect the carbs need to be rebuilt and set up. Also, after riding it for a few miles my right wrist is killing me due to the very stiff throttle. I suppose all this is normal stuff when purchasing a vintage bike.
I wouldn't necessarily think that the carbs need to be 'rebuilt' as such. But 'cleaned' and 'set up' would be a good idea. I would start by spraying carb cleaner through the various orifices (drillings) in the carb. Also I would ensure that the floats and float levels are OK. Heavy floats (meaning gas soaked and brown) need to be replaced, despite the expense. Also you will want to check the diaphragms at the top of the carb and make sure they are without holes or tears.

A stiff throttle is also to be expected after a long layup. As a minimum a good cleaning (carb cleaner shot into the ends of the cable) and lubrication would be called for.

You will enjoy your airhead.

Ken

Post by bbelk »

A bad idle can be related to tight valves. Adjusting them is easy and free and lets you find all the other little things. If the problem comes back in 1,000 miles or so it can be the onset of your first expensive repair, new valve seats.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

The throttle mechanism uses the medieval torture rack principle. There is timeless beauty in that but if poorly maintained it all goes bad. In my ignorance I replaced the throttle tube and its mating cog and chain but not the perch. The wear in the perch caused the new gears to mesh badly with resulting damage and lumpiness in operation. New parts are still available - one day I'll throw more money in that direction but in the meantime I find using the friction screw (cruise control to some) reduces the effort required on a long ride.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)