Master cylinder

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Master cylinder

Post by Zombie Master »

84 R100

So while waiting for OEM caliper rebuild kits to replace the non fitting after market parts, I have a question. I though it would be a good idea to zip tie the brake lever to the grip to make bleeding easier to prevent fluid from escaping down the unattached brake lines. Now that I have to wait, I'm wondering if leaving the lever in this positon might damage the return spring for the master cylinder spring? :?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Re: Master cylinder

Post by Rob »

You already have fluid in the master cylinder?
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I haven't taken off the MS cap. I have one caliper off and the other one still connected.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Zombie Master wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 pm 84 R100

So while waiting for OEM caliper rebuild kits to replace the non fitting after market parts, I have a question. I though it would be a good idea to zip tie the brake lever to the grip to make bleeding easier to prevent fluid from escaping down the unattached brake lines. Now that I have to wait, I'm wondering if leaving the lever in this positon might damage the return spring for the master cylinder spring? :?
I can't imagine any way that spring could or would be damaged. To be damaged, as in collapsed, the spring would have to have been collapsed beyond it's elastic limit. You could test that yourself by measuring the length of the spring and then manually pressing the ends together until the spring coils are rubbing each other. Then one would release the spring and measure the length. I would expect the spring to expand back to it's original length, before you pressed the coils together.

Ken

Post by Zombie Master »

Thanx!(: