1984 R80 valve noise. I know ...I know....it's been said

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Spencersomewhere

1984 R80 valve noise. I know ...I know....it's been said

Post by Spencersomewhere »

I have a 1984 R80 that I
Bought from someone who hadn't ridden it in a while. Long story short I got it running and rode it for about 3k miles. It died on me and so I rebuilt carbs because I just Knew they were culprits. Bike still wouldn't start. Found a thread talking about valve adjustments possibly being culprits. Adjusted them to specs. Bike starts and idles better than ever but valves sound loud and like cymbals in a rock band while riding. Here is a link to video. http://youtu.be/Z6ev9rjFpes
Rockers are adjusted to specs. Valves were checked and rechecked. Is this normal? Oh this is my first BMW bike. Have had two beemer cars. Any ideas?
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: 1984 R80 valve noise. I know ...I know....it's been said

Post by Airbear »

G'day Spencer, and welcome aboard.
Lots of people have looked at your post but nobody seems to be saying anything. I'll have a shot and say, "Ah, yes sir, they all do that." Certainly, my old R90 rattles quite a bit in the valve train department, but being intimately involved with air-cooled VWs in the olden daze I find the clicking and ticking comforting. Most Airhead riders wear earplugs and some even have stickers on their bikes that read, "Loud Valves Save Lives". Some of these bikes are really pretty quiet.

It is hard to tell from your video whether the noise has any alarming bum notes. How does it sound when you are sitting on the bike with your helmet on? That is my normal gauge. These motors are wonderfully primitive, robust and forgiving, but you will probably want to 'go in there' one day to see for yourself that all is ok. Some investigating beforehand is advised - a compression test, or better, a leak-down test, will give you some good clues. And it's a good idea to note any difference in valve clearances over time - to keep an eye on valve recession.

By the way, what valve clearances have you used?
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Another thing that contributes to noise is the rocker side to side clearance, not sure of the spec. Loosen the ends and take up some of the excess play, keeping the rocker centered over the valve. Torque the head to specs and readjust valves.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
melville

Post by melville »

I'm with Airbear and came to Airheads after 20+ years of driving old VWs. Both my regular cages nowadays have hydro lifters and it's almost reassuring and familiar when they don't pump up. Then I realize what I driving and I'll take a panicked look at the oil pressure gauge.

The interesting bit to me about Airhead valve tickety sounds is that they reflect back from the road when you're leaned over. VWs don't do that! I can audibly check that the clearance is the same on both sides if the road has both left and right sweepers.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Spencersomewhere

Post by Spencersomewhere »

Airbear, Valve settings are .004 in and .008 out.
When I was having trouble starting and checked the valves there was NO clearance at all.... but it wasn't as loud either.
I wear earplugs and hear nothing... helmet pretty much the same but without either there is a steady clashing symbol sound at full bore!
From what I am reading the noise I am hearing seems to be the norm.
Thanks to everyone for the input!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Keep an eye on them, and DON'T PULL A STUD!
Also, the female threads on the oil filter cover are easily stripped by owners trying to stop a leak.

These are steel fasteners going into an aluminum block.
I don't know if you had that situation on your BMW autos, or not. Did you own an Isetta? ;)
Rob V
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

If the valves check ok, there's no need to retorque the heads. When and if you do that, 25-26 ft/lbs is a common final torque setting. This is less than book spec but should avoid the "pulled stud" calamity and if it doesn't leak it's adequate.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Spencersomewhere wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:40 pm Airbear, Valve settings are .004 in and .008 out.
When I was having trouble starting and checked the valves there was NO clearance at all.... but it wasn't as loud either.
I wear earplugs and hear nothing... helmet pretty much the same but without either there is a steady clashing symbol sound at full bore!
From what I am reading the noise I am hearing seems to be the norm.
Thanks to everyone for the input!
Spencer, if you are going to be doing timely maintenance (as all good airhead owners should) you can happily reduce the exhaust valve clearance to 0.15mm (0.006") provided there is no evidence of valve recession over time.

As an experiment you can set the clearances at zero and run the engine for a short time to highlight any other source of noise. A stethoscope (big screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear) can be probed around the heads, jugs, crankcase, front cover etc. Your "steady clashing symbol sound" might just be the timing chain thrashing around. Finding NO valve clearances indicates that this bike has been poorly maintained, so some careful investigation is advised. With my old dear the chain was so sloppy (noisy too) that it had ground a chunk out of the alloy webbing:

You have to open up the timing chest to see the chain, but some careful listening will provide clues.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

If you do decide to re-torque the heads, start by loosening each nut a half turn or so then tightening to whatever spec you follow.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts