Brake pad installation

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Brake pad installation

Post by Zombie Master »

84 R100

So when pulling my calipers apart for a rebuild, I noticed that my pads had that silicone rubber goop on the back of the pads. I guess it's to reduce squeal. Do you use this stuff? I'm re-using the pads, as there is lots of material left. Where the anti squeal silcone stuff was on the back of the pads, there was rust. I cleaned them up and painted the back of the pads with hi heat paint. Just wondering if I should get some of the pad squeal stuff.

Also: I was thinking of putting a light coating of anti seize on the brake pad pins. Any thoughts on this idea? I know I don't want any of that stuff getting on my pads. There are little packs of grease and replacement caliper bolts with the OEM kits. Would that grease be use for the pins? Seems a little light for that application to me. :geek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
barryh

Re: Brake pad installation

Post by barryh »

I wouldn't worry about the anti squeal silicone unless there is evidence of a problem to cure.

I always use copper grease sparingly on the pins, spring and sliding surfaces of the pads. If I didn't they would rust in no time. They rust any way in winter use but it holds it off for a while.
barry
Cheshire
England
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

What pads are you guys using these days?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
barryh

Post by barryh »

EBC organic

...but I haven't used anything else on this bike to know whether EBC organic are good bad or indifferent. They certainly last a long time although I'm not heavy on the brakes.
barry
Cheshire
England
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

barryh wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:17 am I wouldn't worry about the anti squeal silicone unless there is evidence of a problem to cure.

I always use copper grease sparingly on the pins, spring and sliding surfaces of the pads. If I didn't they would rust in no time. They rust any way in winter use but it holds it off for a while.
FWIW, I do the same with and additional smear over the the face where it contacts the pistons.

Rob
ImageImageImage
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Thanks. Found three sets EBC kevlar organics for ~$OZ70. I'll give them a try.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
jjwithers

Post by jjwithers »

I have a set of EBC, maybe half their life left, however (not to hijack the thread but...) in the past few months, it feels like the brakes aren't biting or grabbing as effectively and I have to squeeze the brake handle harder than usual.
Is it the pads or something to do with the fluid?
This is a '77 R100 dual disc ATE set up.
www.beemersandbits.com
'77 R100S - http://www.joshuawithers.com/r100s
'73 /5 Toaster Cafe bike http://www.joshwithers.com/slash5
'67 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler
'66 R60/2
'72 BMW 2002
Instagram - jj_withers
barryh

Post by barryh »

I'd check you don't have a seized caliper piston.

I don't know if it's any different with other pads but my brakes are rubbish in the wet and also for a while after the bike has been washed. Even cleaning the discs with brake cleaner results in poor bite until the brakes have been used for a while. Other than that they work well enough.
barry
Cheshire
England
Rob Frankham

Post by Rob Frankham »

jjwithers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:12 am I have a set of EBC, maybe half their life left, however (not to hijack the thread but...) in the past few months, it feels like the brakes aren't biting or grabbing as effectively and I have to squeeze the brake handle harder than usual.
Is it the pads or something to do with the fluid?
This is a '77 R100 dual disc ATE set up.
If you haven't already done so, I would be looking at the cable as well as the pivots on the lever and the undertank master cylinder... I would also be wanting to make sure that the calipers around the pistons were clean and not impeding their movement.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Rob Frankham

Post by Rob Frankham »

barryh wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 am I'd check you don't have a seized caliper piston.

I don't know if it's any different with other pads but my brakes are rubbish in the wet and also for a while after the bike has been washed. Even cleaning the discs with brake cleaner results in poor bite until the brakes have been used for a while. Other than that they work well enough.
What make of pads do you have? On one occasion I bought some (cheaper) pads from one of the BMW parts suppliers. They were described as Italian pads. They were less effective and very grabby. I later found out that they were produced for italian bikes which have similar calipers but cast disks. On the BMW stainless disks they didn't work anywhere near as well. I chucked then!

Rob
ImageImageImage