Which tool to remove pilot (idle) jet?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Which tool to remove pilot (idle) jet?

Post by melville »

Bike is my 1975 R75/6 with the usual 32mm Bings. It's running (and starting) like one of the pilots is blocked. I'd fix it right now, but the bike is being stored remotely (long story) and I need to know which tool to carry the next time I get to visit it (and hopefully go for a ride).

Small flat blade screwdriver?

Wee hex socket? What size?

Allen wrench? Again, what size?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Which tool to remove pilot (idle) jet?

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Idle jet is #5 in this pictures:

http://www.bingcarburetor.com/pdf/MOTOR ... 20VIEW.pdf

Needs a small flat blade screwdriver. The possibility exists that the o-ring (#6) will be damaged when the jet is removed. Don't know size. If it survives the removal, you should put a small amount of silicone grease on it so it doesn't rip up when reinstalling.

Kurt in S.A.
barryh

Post by barryh »

The O ring often gets chewed up when I remove the pilot jets even though they haven't been in long. I do it at least once very winter to clean out water condensate from the breather. I go through so many of them I'm using standard NBR O rings which may be marginal in terms of resistance to modern fuel - but they are very cheap in quantity.

I have the size down as 3 x 1.75mm.
barry
Cheshire
England
melville

Post by melville »

Thanks! I'll hopefully report back on Wednesday.

Thanks especially for the o-ring size, Barry.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.