Getting a grip

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Gibson

Re: Getting a grip

Post by Gibson »

I have always used a few drops of dish soap and water.
dougie

Post by dougie »

Gibson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:37 pm I have always used a few drops of dish soap and water.
Do they get loose when soaked in heavy rain?
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I've had a loose left grip for months. BMW and Oxford grips aren't the perfect fit for the left side. Bloody nice and warm tho! The hotter it gets the looser it gets.
Just need to be careful putting it on the centre stand without pulling the grip off. :mrgreen:

Must buy more super glue some day.
Lord of the Bings
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I usually use dirt bike grips, when they are new, they fit tight. If you have used or older grips glue may be a good idea.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I work in a bike shop and we have tried nearly everything over the years. We found that spray paint works the best. Give it about 15 minutes to "set".

To remove the left grip simply jam your compressed air nozzle into the right end of the handlebar. Twist the left grip and it will jump off into your hand.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I work in a bike shop and we have tried nearly everything over the years. We found that spray paint works the best. Give it about 15 minutes to "set".

To remove the left grip simply jam your compressed air nozzle into the right end of the handlebar. Twist the left grip and it will jump off into your hand.

The real Italian Gran Turisimo grips are still available. Try Klempf's British Parts and tell them to get you a set from Coventry Spares. In the meantime try the Renegade grips from Biltwell.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !