Clutch cable

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Re: Clutch cable

Post by Zombie Master »

I just installed a new clutch cable which has removed the rough feeling. I'm wondering what could have caused the rough feeling. Could it be: the points where the cable was zip tied created a tight spot, then the cable eventually cut through the teflon liner at that point? It's perfectly smooth now but I'm wondering if I should change where the cable is attached through its length?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Worth a shot. Avoid tight bends for sure; route it for the gentlest bends possible. The metal winding in the sleeve should be able to withstand the pressure of any cable-tie, but I'd still avoid making them needlessly tight.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Roy Gavin wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 am If you can attach a pressure pack...
In the USA we call these "cable lubers" and they allow any aerosol can to inject their contents under pressure down the entire length of the cable. They are indeed wonderful.

Here's one on Amazon

;)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Well you don't want to lube a new BMW cable with a teflon liner. My original had a bit of roughness, probably would have gone on for years, but I just finished the spine lube and I want everything to be perfectly smooth....and it is.
Any and all disclaimers may apply