Clutch cable

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Clutch cable

Post by Zombie Master »

84 R100
So is it a sin to lubricate the OEM cable? If not what would you use for this nylon lined cable? :geek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Re: Clutch cable

Post by Rob »

Yes, it is a sin.
Thou shalt buy a new OEM.
Rob V
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Yea, verily, etc ... and thou shalt find a way to carry the old cable on the bike as an emergency backup for yourself or another poor bastard.

ps: Three Hail Marys and a small donation to Duane should cover the intended blasphemy.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
tsa

Post by tsa »

If the inner cable runs roughly, and you are going to bin it anyway, I think there is nothing to loose by trying to lubricate it (time & cost of oil excluded!). I once did that when my K100RS clutch cable became grabby; it cleaned it out, and made it work nicely, for the next four or so years I had that bike. If that made any nylon lining swell, it may have been worn away sufficiently for the inner cable not to catch any more.

I guess you could use anything from gun, sewing machine, gear (thicker, so won't drain out as quickly) general 3-in-1, or whatever oil your local store has? So far I haven't seen anyone selling clutch oil . . . for airheads.

YMMW or whatever.
--
'73 R75/5, '78 R80/7, '83 R80RT
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Tri-Flow is a great lubricant if you wanted to give it a try.

Kurt in S.A.
dougie

Post by dougie »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm Tri-Flow is a great lubricant if you wanted to give it a try.
Kurt in S.A.
+1.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I've got some Tri-Flow....good idea! I'm not seeing any loose strands at either end of the cable
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

These are teflon lined cables, I believe. And the one lubricant your DO NOT want to use is anything with molybdenum, such as Dri-Slide. Teflon and molybdenum apparently don't like each other.

At work I use ATF dribbled from an old 3-In-1 oil can that works well. RemOil or Tri-Flow (teflon loaded gun oils) would be excellent.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Thanx!
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

If you can attach a pressure pack you could clean it first with a cleaner like WD40, then a lubricant - I like Brownings Legia spray which is made to keep their auto shotguns sliding and works well on my electric razor too!
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic