Drive shaft boot leak

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Drive shaft boot leak

Post by Zombie Master »

R100 '84

So I recently did the input spine lube, and in that process had the drive shaft boot disconnected. After the job I noticed a leak at the boot. I tightened it up and did another drain and refill of the gear oil in the shaft. The leaked stopped for a couple of weeks but this morning there was a stream down the shop floor. Looks like it is the front (trans) side of the boot that is leaking. I'm wondering if the hose clamp is failing. It's a PIA to keep draining and refilling. Boot is in good shape. Will take weeks to get a new clamp. The clamp seems to tighten up OK. Any thoughts? :ugeek:
Last edited by Zombie Master on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Re: Drive shaft boot leak

Post by ME 109 »

If the clamp tightens it's not failing. Either the boot does have a small hole or it's not seated properly.
Wash all oil from the boot and try to see exactly where it's coming from.
A small mirror might help you see what's going on.
Lord of the Bings
dougie

Post by dougie »

For mystery leaks sometimes it helps to get the area clean clean clean and then dust that area with baby powder or cornstarch. Oil will leave a visible trail.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I cleaned and re-seated boot and clamp. I put some low strength lock tite on the the threads of the clamp. I checked trans fluid level and it was full. I lost about a third of the gear oil in the drive shaft. I noticed that the other clamp (drive shaft side) was on the loose side. Once I refilled the drive shaft, I made a gauge out of a twist tie crimped to a electrical connector and noted the depth of oil for reference. I think maybe I was worried about striping the threads on the clamps. I went tighter this time. Now I need a road test. Thanx for you input!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I don't know why this seems to work, but in the absence of any obvious cause or science, I've always had the fastener part of the clamps at b/w 11 & 1 o'clock. That puts the flat aspect of the clamp at near 6 o'clock and being that's where fluid will tend to settle I'm thinking the seal might be that little bit more uniform. I do it on the carb clamps too.
It's just my habit and I'm unsure why I started doing that in the first place. I think I read it on the internet somewhere! ;)
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

SteveD wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 pm I don't know why this seems to work, but in the absence of any obvious cause or science, I've always had the fastener part of the clamps at b/w 11 & 1 o'clock. That puts the flat aspect of the clamp at near 6 o'clock and being that's where fluid will tend to settle I'm thinking the seal might be that little bit more uniform. I do it on the carb clamps too.
It's just my habit and I'm unsure why I started doing that in the first place. I think I read it on the internet somewhere! ;)
I thought about that orientation, keeping the overlap of the clamps on top, but I've never had them leak before in 46 years of Air Head ownership. But maybe if my attempt doesn't work....
Zombie Master

Crap!

Post by Zombie Master »

Came down to the shop and there is gear oil under the bike.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

And it's coming from where exactly? You should be able to pinpoint the leak.
Lord of the Bings
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

ME 109 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:16 pm And it's coming from where exactly? You should be able to pinpoint the leak.
It just looks to be leaking out of the sealing area of the transmission where the boot attaches with the clamp. Are these boots the same size opening on both sides? I have a new one, but it's hard to tell. I have the seams of the boot at the top and bottom.

The clamp, where it screws together is about 8 oclock. It doesn't seem to be leaking from the shaft side of the boot. These clamps are quite soft so you would think they would conform to the shape of the boss.

But if it is leaking even before I ride it then what? the boot seems to fit on the boss OK. Is there a front and back to the boot? Man...I do not want to take this all apart again. Maybe try Steve's clamp orientation method. :|
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

The boots do have notations for front (getriebe for transmission) and top (oben).

Kurt in S.A.