LED headlight replacement for H4

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Wobbly

Re: LED headlight replacement for H4

Post by Wobbly »

ME 109 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 am I think you need a 450 or 600 watt EME alternator. Then you could also run a heated seat, kick ass halogen driving lights, and a coffee machine.
What !! No beer cooler in the bags ?
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Beer cooler? My hexhead's big-ass alternator will support a completely automated brewing system! :mrgreen:
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The Veg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:19 pm Beer cooler? My hexhead's big-ass alternator will support a completely automated brewing system! :mrgreen:
Good thing if you have to go to the dealer for service. You'll need a drink. :ugeek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

I had my first hexhead for three years and I just reached three years with the current one last month. The only dealer service required between them was when the fuel-level sensor in the first one had to be replaced under warranty. The current one seems really healthy and the maintenance is super-easy to do, so it'll most likely avoid the dealer for while to come.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Wobbly wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:15 pm
ME 109 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 am I think you need a 450 or 600 watt EME alternator. Then you could also run a heated seat, kick ass halogen driving lights, and a coffee machine.
What !! No beer cooler in the bags ?
Beer cooler with 10 x 375 ml cans goes on the back seat, full of ice.
It's a summer tradition now. :idea:
Beer (Melbourne Bitter) from an ice slurry on arrival at the campsite on a warm summer's day is rather good. Excellent even.
Lord of the Bings
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

ZM's opening post mentions a "voyage regulator". I don't have that feature so all my voyages have been unregulated.....some more than others!

And, speaking of language usage, in a discussion about alternator capabilities, The Veg mentions his "current" bike.

And, early in the conversation hal notes that LED lights use less power and that is a "positive". Presumably that is better than a "negative" but I have no grounds for that claim. Ohm my!

Chuey
melville

Post by melville »

Chuey wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:46 pm ZM's opening post mentions a "voyage regulator". I don't have that feature so all my voyages have been unregulated.....some more than others!

And, speaking of language usage, in a discussion about alternator capabilities, The Veg mentions his "current" bike.

And, early in the conversation hal notes that LED lights use less power and that is a "positive". Presumably that is better than a "negative" but I have no grounds for that claim. Ohm my!

Chuey
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Check your PM!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

ME 109 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 am I think you need a 450 or 600 watt EME alternator.
Then you could also run a heated seat, kick ass halogen driving lights, and a coffee machine.
When my stator shits itself, that's where I'm going.
Wouldn't a 600 W alt drag that airhead's power output down? :o
Any and all disclaimers may apply
pxc433

Post by pxc433 »

@Zombie Master:

That looks great but was it a straight replacement or was additional work involved? Looking at the pictures of the vendor website it's hard to tell.
1988 R100RS with Blue/Silver 1979 paint job
2018 F800GT in Black (these bikes are great you should give them a try)
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Here is one that looks like there isn't a whole lot of area needed to install behind the bulb like some. Would probably fit inside a /5 or 6 housing fairly well. Haven't tried one yet.

http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R