As my airhead gently weeps

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
SteveD

Re: As my airhead gently weeps

Post by SteveD »

Rob wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm So, I guess that we in the USA are blessed that Moto Bins does not ship here?
edit: That was http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php Rob.
Last edited by SteveD on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Rob wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm So, I guess that we in the USA are blessed that Moto Bins does not ship here?
That'd be Motorworks Rob.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
barryh

Post by barryh »

It used to be and for a long time that Motorworks was the one that didn't ship to the US but now they do.
barry
Cheshire
England
Rob

Post by Rob »

I guess I have been out of the game, too long. Forgot.
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Rob wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 pm I guess I have been out of the game, too long. Forgot.
This...is not a game. :|
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Zombie Master wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:34 am Thanx Mel! I'll do some checking to see if that switch is leaking. I've got a long 24mm impact socket. Anybody know what size gasket would be on that switch?
On my 1979, my switch was leaking badly. My local auto parts store looked it up and it was used on several BMW and Mercedes cars around the same period. They were able to supply a third party replacement for about 1/3 the price of the OEM BMW part. The part was of recent Polish manufacture and is every bit, if not better made than the original.

New oil pressure switches typically come with a new crush washer.

If you want the job absolutely oil tight, then apply a small dab of LocTite 510 oil sealant to the threads. This anaerobic gel is absolutely the way to go on tight fitting parts, such as the threads on an oil pressure switch. You can get this on Amazon, Ebay, or your local Dodge/Chrysler dealer also sells it under a Mopar number.

It's also impervious to oil, meaning parts don't need to be completely oil-free for it to work. For that reason it works great on oil pan drain plugs.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I've cleaned up the push rod tubes and oil pressure switch. Heading out for a ride and will keep an eye on these areas. How do you apply baby powder to clean areas? Doesn't want to stay put. :geek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I always thought you just put some in the palm of your hand and blew it towards the engine. It doesn't take much...the powder will stick in the crevices (spell upate!) and just stay on the bike...not in large clumps of course. Don't worry about getting it all over...washes off readily.

Kurt in S.A.
Last edited by Kurt in S.A. on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Oil pressure switch from a VW beetle will also work.

Bluesman
dougie

Post by dougie »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 pm I always thought you just put some in the palm of your hand and blew it towards the engine. It doesn't take much...the powder will stick in the crevasses and just stay on the bike...not in large clumps of course. Don't worry about getting it all over...washes off readily.

Kurt in S.A.
+1
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.