Oil checking

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Oil checking

Post by Zombie Master »

I always check my R100 with a cold engine. That way I know I'm not over filled if the stick is at the max. Agree or?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Oil checking

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

That's what I always do, too. But if you knew the oil level was fine when cold, what's wrong with the next time checking it hot? Then you could tell the difference between cold and hot and judge where things are in a relative sense. You could do the same thing when on the centerstand versus on the sidestand.

One good reason for checking cold is that the dipstick isn't so darned hot!! :lol:

Kurt in S.A.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

The question is: R100 oil level with or without an oil cooler ?

The coolers don't seem to have any back-flow valves, and so that liquid drains into the sump over night. (I dislike the coolers and believe the larger sump is a much better plan for road bikes... but that's a separate subject.)

With a cooler, you have to allow the engine to run for at least 30 seconds, then turn it off. You always measure the liquid level cold, so that thermal expansion is accounted for. Still, it's not a bad thing to understand where the "hot" level is just in case you're traveling cross country.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I checked it cold then hot. No noticeable difference.
barryh

Post by barryh »

Except for auto transmissions oil levels are always set cold. The oil will expand when hot to the equivalent of adding approx. 100cc of oil or about 2mm on the dipstick. If you run the level at half mast as many do, it makes little difference either way.
barry
Cheshire
England
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Think I'll just check cold before I ride.
spo123

Post by spo123 »

Ah....But...do YOU screw the dipstick into the threads to check the oil.......OR, do you carefully set the dipstick just at the top of the threads (when upright, correctly)?.
Only one answer is correct.
Rob

Post by Rob »

spo123 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm Ah....But...do YOU screw the dipstick into the threads to check the oil.......OR, do you carefully set the dipstick just at the top of the threads (when upright, correctly)?.
Only one answer is correct.
Resting on top.
Rob V
spo123

Post by spo123 »

CORRECT, Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

...unless it is synthetic, then you screw it all the way in... :lol:
Rob V