Can't get neutral when hot

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Can't get neutral when hot

Post by Airbear »

A previous gearbox on my bike gave me grief finding neutral. Sometimes it would take minutes until I discovered that a blip of the throttle made a difference.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Gibson wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm If you buy Keihan pipes, order from Moto Bins. It is a LOT cheaper even with shipping than Bob's. I have the Y pipe and the stainless headers. Quality is good and they don't rust. I have not had to do any jetting changes on my R100R M.
It might even be cheaper direct from Keihan?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Hey Steve, when I bought the headers about a year ago, I shopped around for the lowest price. Back then it was Moto Bins by like $100.00. I think Keihan charges list as to not undermine their dealers. I would absolutely shop around though. The biggest reason I got the headers was I failed to purchase the adapter bushing for the Y pipe. The stock header dia was a little too small to fit the stock header pipes. I had a slight exhaust leak there, so I decided to just bite the bullet and get the headers. The only thing is the headers I purchased do not have that little crossover pipe in front of the engine. No big deal...I would never go back to the stock set up. Very happy with the look and performance.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I suppose that's wise bisnis practice. I bought mufflers from them a few years back when the $OZ was very strong. They cost less than $OZ600 delivered. Staintunes are around $2K! Beryl ( I think her name was) sorted out cheaper postage too! I was very happy with the deal.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

IMG_3082.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG (47.58 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Heres what it looks like.
pxc433

Post by pxc433 »

Morning all

The Christmas break saw me with a day spent in the garage (max temp all day in there 2 deg C :-( ).

I've adjusted the clutch both using the cable at the bars and locknut at the gearbox. To be honest, I don't think it was wrong but you never know. Right now it's adjusted correctly so all I need to do is wait for a very hot day.

I have decided not to replace the collector box, at least for now. If the problem persists I will try this route.

I found a thread about this here:

http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=9873

Note Rob Frankham's comments. He's a very reliable source of info and experienced no difference on his R80 when moving to an H pipe (a good thing as far as I am concerned).
1988 R100RS with Blue/Silver 1979 paint job
2018 F800GT in Black (these bikes are great you should give them a try)
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Does the clutch drag when hot? Maybe the plate is warping slightly when it gets good and hot.
As far as the collector low end power is concerned, on a street bike, it is not noticeable. Lack of rust, easy to clean and less heat is noticeable. I do notice a slight gain at around 4k though, and that is where I am on the highway. I can chug around all day at 2K rpm if I want to. There is plenty of low end power. My bike had a very different exhaust arrangement though. I think heat is more of a problem with the R100R series machines. That big box under the transmission was perforated plates inside the box that most likely glow red when its running.
It is wise to wait and see though...why waste all that money.