Fork Gaiters

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Wobbly

Fork Gaiters

Post by Wobbly »

The quote below came from another thread in response to a photo of my 1979 RT/RS. I thought it justified it's own topic thread....
Zombie Master wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 am Wobbly needs some fork gaiters stat.
Although I worked at a BMW shop in the early 70's, I'm far from being a qualified BMW mechanic. And the missing 40+ intervening years now leaves me un-versed in all the upgrade paths you can make by combining parts from different model years to get optimal performance.

Would you care to expound on your statement ?
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Re: Fork Gaiters

Post by Zombie Master »

Wobbly wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm The quote below came from another thread in response to a photo of my 1979 RT/RS. I thought it justified it's own topic thread....
Zombie Master wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 am Wobbly needs some fork gaiters stat.
Although I worked at a BMW shop in the early 70's, I'm far from being a qualified BMW mechanic. And the missing 40+ intervening years now leaves me un-versed in all the upgrade paths you can make by combining parts from different model years to get optimal performance.

Would you care to expound on your statement ?
The picture you posted of an RS has no fork tube protection. It's like walking around with you zipper open whilst wearing no underwear.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

It's all about protecting the fork chrome from rock chips and road damage. That in turn protects the fork seals.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

I think Wobbly is aware that he should have them. But wants more info on how / where to get them.

So now I'm curious. If the gaiters are missing, do the forks have to come apart to install them?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Steve in Golden wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm So now I'm curious. If the gaiters are missing, do the forks have to come apart to install them?
Yep.

Someone used to make fabric gaiters that had a strip of velcro along their length, that allowed you to put them on easily. And apparently they still do.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cloth+v ... e&ie=UTF-8

I would rather have rubber gaiters, myself.

Here is Duane telling me that I need to pull my gaiters down as far as possible on the slider, to keep the gaiter from stealing some of my fork travel.

photo courtesy Randy
Rob V
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Here are some 13 ribbers https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-FORK-GAITE ... o1&vxp=mtr

When you get the gaiters, make sure that the air hole that allows air into them is clear and not blocked (located on the top where the pin comes in from the triple clamp) , if not they crunch up when compressed and stay that way.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm I think Wobbly is aware that he should have them. But wants more info on how / where to get them.

So now I'm curious. If the gaiters are missing, do the forks have to come apart to install them?

No. You just pull them out of the triple trees and slide the new gaiters on. I bought a spare pair, but the originals are holding up fine with bi- yearly UV protectant application. But they are only 33 years old now. :geek:
richard t

Post by richard t »

the 13 rib was used on the /6 maybe 7s and older, the 11 rib on later the 11 rib are cheaper. maxs bmw, capital cycle and other like Tom Cutter sell them or can get them
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

11 rib for the 81-4 as the casting on the slider for the reflector prevents pulling the gaiter down past the top of the slider.

And 10 mm travel at the most is lost to having 11 rib gaiters, and on an RS the front fender contacts the fairing before that 10mm comes into play.
Lord of the Bings