Fork wipers

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Re: Fork wipers

Post by Zombie Master »

IMO on technical questions, joking around, where there can be misinterpretation of required information, due to a number of factors, including differences in colloquium, is not helpful. We have a forum that is read worldwide. We should try to give advice that is universally understandable and standard. Once the question is sufficiently beat to death, I can see having some fun. But not up front. We are supposed to be helping. We have the Speakeasy for silliness.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Wobbly

Re: Fork wipers

Post by Wobbly »

Rob wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:03 pm So, Wobbly, do you lubricate the felts?
I don't think I ever did, myself. I could see where it would be a good idea to lower stiction.
Never done the job myself, but I have procured the felts on my parts orders for a mate that runs a part-time, backyard shop. He's done this job several times on "customer" bikes over the last 25 years. According to his wisdom (and his experience and IQ levels tower above mine), the felt collects dust the scraper misses... so he moistens them with fork oil upon installation.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !