Steering head bearings

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Steering head bearings

Post by Zombie Master »

Of course there are a lot of variables, but how often do you re-grease your head bearings. How long are they lasting between replacements? :geek:
Last edited by Zombie Master on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Re: Steering head bearings

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm Of course there are a lot of variables, but how often do you re-grease your head bearings. How long are they lasing between replacements? :geek:
I regrease mine every time I replace them. (tapered rollers)
They will last years and take a pounding when they are preloaded just right. And greased properly when installed.

Difficult to regrease properly without removing them completely. Who's gonna stuff around and put them back in, for what they cost new? (biased RS owners opinion)
Lord of the Bings
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

ME 109 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am
Zombie Master wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm Of course there are a lot of variables, but how often do you re-grease your head bearings. How long are they lasing between replacements? :geek:
I regrease mine every time I replace them. (tapered rollers)
They will last years and take a pounding when they are preloaded just right. And greased properly when installed.

Difficult to regrease properly without removing them completely. Who's gonna stuff around and put them back in, for what they cost new? (biased RS owners opinion)
When I have the front wheel off I loosen off the steering head nut and drop the assembly down. I start with WD 40 to clean everything up, then some solvent. When dry I grease them up and tighten everything up. I have avoided replacement by doing this.
barryh

Post by barryh »

Zombie Master wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:05 am
When I have the front wheel off I loosen off the steering head nut and drop the assembly down. I start with WD 40 to clean everything up, then some solvent. When dry I grease them up and tighten everything up. I have avoided replacement by doing this.
I do the same and still on the original 39 year old bearings. Every 10 years is often enough
barry
Cheshire
England
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The grease I use says that it is waterproof.....isn't all grease waterproof? :geek:
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Zombie Master wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 am The grease I use says that it is waterproof.....isn't all grease waterproof? :geek:
Normally grease is made by adding oil to a soap-based thickener, therefore at least part of it is water soluble. Ok if it is 'contained' away from water. Waterproof grease is usually silicone based, therefore resistant to water.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Thanx C...that makes sense. They don't seem to put ingredients on grease containers other than the base designation.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

► There are lots of "waterproof" greases available. Not all fit for use on steering head bearings, but still out there. The most common is white Lithium grease (sold here under the label White Lube). Boat trailer wheel bearing grease is very common and useful for steering head bearings. And there are numerous other specialty greases for various nautical applications available at West Marine stores and other boating outlets.
Airbear wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 am Normally grease is made by adding oil to a soap-based thickener, therefore at least part of it is water soluble. Ok if it is 'contained' away from water. Waterproof grease is usually silicone based, therefore resistant to water.
This is true. If you have a grease you want to know about, simply grab a handful and put your hand under a warm water faucet. A water soluble grease will disappear in minutes.

► Of course, no grease can withstand the forces of a pressure washer. While pressure washing can be a benefit on snowflake wheels and other tough areas, owners really have to be VERY careful to stay away from areas with bearings, like the head post and swing arm. This, even if the bearing has an oil seal. Wheel bearing grease seals are no match for high pressure water.

;)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Wob:
This is true. If you have a grease you want to know about, simply grab a handful and put your hand under a warm water faucet. A water soluble grease will disappear in minutes.
Not at my house, you don't! :o
barryh

Post by barryh »

Well not while she's watching obviously :D
barry
Cheshire
England