Headlight

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Bob Distelcamp

Headlight

Post by Bob Distelcamp »

Hi, I have a 1985 R80RT "mono". The problem I'm having is this. I noticed that my headlight was out. Low and high beam, The flasher
does work. I put a new bulb in, Same thing. I have a extra handle bar switch, No improvement. I can't find a fuse on the bike, So I
changed out the relay. I think I changed the right one. What do I need to do Next??? BTW the relay I changed has a twin setting side by side to it. Did I also say that there is NO Taillight.

Bob Distelcamp
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Headlight

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Relay part number 61 32 1 244 411? Is the parking light working? The parking light and tail light power goes through the same fuse. I don't see a connection to the tail light, though, in terms of fuse, power, etc.

Kurt in S.A.
Bob Distelcamp

Post by Bob Distelcamp »

OK, where is the fuse, It's not in the headlight shell like a /6 so where is it?

Bob
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would look under the fuel tank.
On the '81-'85 [twin-shock] R65's, that is where they were relocated, after being behind the r-h sidecover on the earlier models.
Rob V
Bob Bennett

Post by Bob Bennett »

My 85 Mono has the fuse box under the rear of tank,
lift seat and remove tool tray then you will find it.

Regards Bob.
Regards, Bob
R80 RS
Bob Distelcamp

Post by Bob Distelcamp »

Found it! I googled it and there was a photo of the cover for the fuse box. So now I know.
The fuses were OK so I'm back to square one. Still no headlights
Rob

Post by Rob »

Twist the fuses in their holders. That may help break through any corrosion that may be preventing good contact.

Better yet, remove the fuses and clean with emery cloth (holders, too) and replace with dielectric grease.

Better yet, upgrade to SAE blade fuses...
Rob V
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

I have the blade fuses on my G/S , and took the chance to extend the wiring to a small fuse box on the rear guard under the seat where I have fuses for other accessory circuits.
The box has a space for spare fuses, and blown fuses are visible, which helps to reduce the hassle if one does blow.
Part of a complete rewire/ electrical overhaul, so was only a small part of the total cost, and looks nice too.
Pity that with the rewire I will probably never need to use it!
hal

Post by hal »

Maybe a silly idea, but could it be the ignition switch?
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Bob Distelcamp wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:15 pm The fuses were OK so I'm back to square one. Still no headlights.
Fuses may look OK, but did you check for the presence of electrical power on both ends of each fuse ? Those German fuses are funny things, they may not be "blown", but with a tiny bit of corrosion they will stop letting power through.

If you'll simply unplug the OEM fuse "box" and remove it from the bike, you can insert modern ATC "flat pack" fuses directly into the 1/4" female connectors on the harness. These type fuses are much, much better at making solid electrical contact. ATC fuse photo

The OEM fuse is 8A, you can replace those with either 7.5A (cola colored) or 10A (red), it won't make a difference. And the newer fuse type is much, much easier to find replacements for on the open road.

Hope this helps.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !