'84 R100RT w/sidecar

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Oh+Timothy

'84 R100RT w/sidecar

Post by Oh+Timothy »

Hi guys, I'm new here and have a question. I've not been riding for about ten years (got married and sorta lost interest) but my last bikes were a R1100GS and an R100PD. I've been wanting to get back into riding and have been looking at Craigslist and other places - I found a 1984 R100RT with a sidecar and 66K miles on the clock. Asking price is $4000. This bike is also equipped with a trailer hitch, and although I haven't talked with the owner yet I would imagine it has towed a trailer at some point in its life. I checked NADA which says reasonable price for these bikes is between $2600 and $3500 depending on condition. Some questions: 1) Are these bikes generally known to hold up under the stresses of towing a trailer or dragging a sidecar around? Would you consider getting into this bike? 2) If the owner would take $3500 does this machine sound reasonable? Thanks for any advice or thoughts on this.
Rob

Re: '84 R100RT w/sidecar

Post by Rob »

I would say, if you are interested in sidecaring, it could be a good deal. Sidecar brand? Aftermarket front end?

If you are planning on making a solo bike out of it, I would keep on looking.
Rob V
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Welcome! The '81-84 bikes, especially the 1000cc models, have a valve seat issue...the material used by BMW didn't transfer heat very well, leaving latent heat in the valve face causing them to distort. The only cure is to replace the seats...and likely the valves. Might get 60-80K out of the stock step up.

However, pulling a sidecar results in higher engine heat due to the extra load and the poor airflow on the one side. It could mean an earlier demise for the heads.

It's all fixable, but should be factored in down the road.

Kurt in S.A.
Oh+Timothy

Post by Oh+Timothy »

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Here's the link to this bike: https://florencesc.craigslist.org/mcy/d ... 07120.html
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I see you are looking in the Florence, SC area. These bikes are not hard to find in good condition, but you might have to transition your search to a slightly more affluent area to find a really good one. Remember, these were some of the most expensive bikes you could buy in the 80's and 90's. Used prices are lowest around year 2000, then start climbing back up.

• Highly suggest you look at the CraigsLists for Athens, Atlanta, and Asheville. Do a wide open search and simply look for "BMW" without a model, and years 1975 to 2000. Stay clear of the K-bikes and concentrate on the opposed twin "Boxer" engine bikes. They are much lighter and much easier to ride and repair. CL in Athens is going to show a handful of BMWs in Watkinsville, GA. Those are at a local BMW shop, and those are good guys. You'll pay slightly more, but they've been gone over and they'll tell you the truth.

• The Airhead Forum is also showing this really nice '76 R90 in the north Atlanta area....
http://www.airheads.org/airmarket/for-s ... 1976-r90-6

• My brother has a beautiful RT which is a really good runner with full luggage and new tires. We spent a lot of time getting all the bugs out before he went in another direction. He's in Roswell, GA (north Atlanta suburbs). It's a 2000 or 2001, so it's in the REALLY low price zone. He can't possibly get back what he put into it, which makes it a great buy. I'll send you a private message with contact info.

All the best.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:40 pm
It's all fixable, but should be factored in down the road.

Kurt in S.A.
We're already a fair way down the road with these bikes. Maybe replacing the seats that replaced the dodgy seats might be getting factored in by now? :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I wouldn't buy one that towed a trailer. BMW never designed it to do that job.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

They also never designed a post 1969 Airhead to haul a chair either. Service bulletin in May 1985 states that. Use of a sidecar or pulling a trailer will void the warranty.

Just sayin'...but people do what they do.

Kurt in S.A.