Spline Lube on Paralever

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Gibson

Spline Lube on Paralever

Post by Gibson »

Hey all, does anyone know how often to lube the drives shaft splines on a 94 paralever type machine? Not the clutch input spline.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Spline Lube on Paralever

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

From Snowbum's site:

15K to 20K:
Monolever & Paralever bikes should have the output shaft & splines, & any U-joints checked.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/maintsched.htm

Does this cover the paralevers?

https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSch ... 00GSPD.pdf

Kurt in S.A.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

There is no mention of servicing these splines in the BMW service manuals but lubing them is essential because as the lube dries they tend to gall-, that is, to stop sliding.
This tends to stop the suspension from moving and put the UJ's , gearbox and final drive bearings under great strain.
Which is not good.
Circlip anyone?
You want the best lube you can find.
Honda had to make their own to get the 50% moly they deemed necessary, a few years back, but now there are a few sources of 50%+ lube and Honda no longer list their own brand..
Most modern IRS auto's have a sliding spline too, and they are usually sealed with a crimped on accordion type gaiter and packed for life with extremely high quality grease similar the the special stuff developed for the CV joints in FWD cars.
It might be possible to locate a auto gaiter which would fit the para driveshaft, and if you could it would probably extend the service intervals greatly. Around 20 and 30 mm dia either end would be close.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Cool thanks much, it doesn't look like the job is too bad. I will make sure I have a suitable lube before I start the job. I think the GS models place a lot more demand on this sliding spline than the street only models, but I want to catch it early.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Just as an aside my the mechanics at my favorite destination, a dealer/ workshop/ tire depot /petrol station and cafe just bludged some of my Honda Moly 50 - they had a guy in with an Oilhead complaining that his suspension was locking up and the BMW dealer didnt know how to fix it
The moly 50 did the job, so it appears that the official BMW spline lube is still borderline, particularly if asked to deal with a few extra horses.
And Ozzie heat!
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Thanks all! I ordered the Loctite Moly paste. Was able to get it on line. Very hard to find locally ;)
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Not only that, but before you go in to do that job you need to research the lubrication and maintenance of the 2 pivot bolts and bushings that hold the final drive to the swing arm housing.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Thanks Wobbly, I've got the pivot hardware loosened just need to pull it off now. About an ounce of red oil leaked out of the boot when I peeled it back. Ive never used anything Red in the trannny or rear drive ever. Puzzled.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Might be the remnants of the red grease which should be sealed into the UJs on the driveshaft, so be prepared to get your credit card out!
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Thanks but got lucky, credit card not needed. No leaks in final drive seals or trans output seal. Drive shaft is fine.All went together fine. I remember when I first brought the bike home, the rear drive fluid was red. I changed it right away with all other fluids. Somehow some of that must have gotten into the boot. Perhaps it was the wrong oil.