Spline Lube on Paralever

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Beemerboff

Re: Spline Lube on Paralever

Post by Beemerboff »

Some of the "race" gear oils are red, and they claim that their quality is as high as their price!
Or maybe someone was using ATF somewhere-----------.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

If not mistaken, I think some of the Amsoil products are red. My brother's 1100RS was puking oil out the front and wheel seal until we changed it. As I understand it, "seal softeners" are something that need to be added to synthetic oils, so each brand has a different amount. Meaning a simple oil change to "your brand" could be a genuine solution.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Seal softeners which are added to dino oil are usually ester synth oil, which might go some way to explaining why you dont add them to, err, ester synth oil.
But with modified dino qualifying as synthetic in the USofA who really knows WTF is going on, and anecdote and myth on the internet seems of little help here!
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I use nothing but synthetic oil for years. Never had a leak anywhere.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Gibson wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am I use nothing but synthetic oil for years. Never had a leak anywhere.
+1
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I'm not arguing, simply reporting what happened.

The previous owner of my brother's R1100S reported he had "just had a shop change all the oil over to Mobil-1". No way really to tell what they put in there, but the rear wheel would be black within 200 miles (road dust and brake material sticking to the rear wheel spokes). The issue was obviously the big seal between the final drive and rear wheel. Because that seal cost $42 we decided to first try a simple change to Valvoline in the final drive only.

The seal still sweats, but now the wheel only needs washing every 1200-1500 miles or so. So it's nearly stopped.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Wobbly wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:00 pmThe seal still sweats, but now the wheel only needs washing every 1200-1500 miles or so. So it's nearly stopped.
Is he especially careful in right handers when the road is a bit moist?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.