Painting snowflake wheels.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
SteveD

Re: Painting snowflake wheels.

Post by SteveD »

Oh yeah, he pulled my boot off he was trying so hard! I wasn't falling for it. Another local place said $OZ40 but I wasn't convinced on their dedication to a great job after the brake hubs they sandblasted weren't 100%.
I rang the place that did my last set years back. The fellow has since retired but I chatted to his successor and he said all the right things..like $OZ60 per wheel. I'll go see him next week.

Seals and bearings are out. The rear bearings were a tad rough...just. Front felt fine.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

When I wanted my VRF wheels re coated I knew a little about heat treating aluminum from my time in Pop's welding shop, so I contacted the production managers of the two companies in Adelaide who at that time made alloy wheels, including for Harley Davidson.
I knew them both from my time in the construction / concrete industry , so I was given the courtesy of a detailed answer.
They both confirmed my suspicion that alloy wheels are subject to complex and lengthy heat treatment process which gave them their strength, and the temperatures involved in commercial powder coating would removes some of this strength, and should not be considered in any circumstances.
One even suggested that all powder coat companies in the state had been instructed not to do it, and it was actually illegal in this state.
Most critical components like wheels will be designed with a pretty decent factor of safety to cover for the occasional mishap, and the percentage strength loss will depend on the the composition of the alloy and the heat treatment it received initially, and of course the temperature of the powdercoat oven.
So while every wheel will be weaker and I am not saying that every wheel will be weakened to a dangerous degree, for normal road use in the hands of a mature and sensible rider
But there is only one way you are going to find out if it is!
Maybe on a bump on the next corner------------
PAS

Post by PAS »

I used Duplicolor silver metallic lacquer top coated with clear lacquer. Look OEM and are easily touched up.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

PAS wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:31 am I used Duplicolor silver metallic lacquer top coated with clear lacquer. Look OEM and are easily touched up.
Does it come in gold?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

The reason I suggested the Hammerite red etch primer is that Hammerite make two primers, and the grey one is for steel.
The Hamerite red etch primer is one that has been proven to get a good bite into aluminum , and seems to be one that folks consistently have success with when recoating tricky things like factory coated engine cases.
I dont think Duplicolor make a aluminum etch primer, and their clear is soft and yellows if near heat or petrol. DAKIK
Duplicolor color coats are fine, their Honda Milano Red is a perfect match for my red Funduro , and has come up great without a clear over, just leveled with 2000 paper and then Armorall Cut and polish.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I see.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dirtsurfer

Post by dirtsurfer »

Any pictures of the finished wheels Steve?
daz

Post by daz »

DUPLICOLOR BGM0516 PERFECT MATCH AUTOMOTIVE PAINT, GM GOLD METALLIC, 8 OZ AEROSOL CAN
acrylic lacquer aerosol paint
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

dirtsurfer wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:45 am Any pictures of the finished wheels Steve?
Unfortunately they also did the disc surface. :( :roll: Otherwise they've come up very nicely.
ImageImage
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

A handsome machine.
Any and all disclaimers may apply