Painting snowflake wheels.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
SteveD

Painting snowflake wheels.

Post by SteveD »

I scored an inexpensive set recently. Straight and the bearings feel good.

However, they've been painted a long time ago and they were looking worse for wear.

I want to paint them in gold for the JPS colour scheme.

Manual cleaning to start, then paint stripper and water flush.

Followed by some extra sandpapering and a bit with the wire wheel. Looking much better and ready for vapour blasting.
Here's the front after vapour blasting...compared to the rear before.

I'm inclined to prime/paint/lacquer myself with rattle cans, but powder coating might be cheaper and easier.
Any clues if I paint them myself? I've had wheels powder coated before, so no fears involved there.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Gibson

Re: Painting snowflake wheels.

Post by Gibson »

A good bead blasting and powder coat and they will look awesome! Be sure and seal tape up bearings though.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

No manufacturer of alloy wheels recommends that you re powder coat them, for very good reasons which only an imbecile would ignore. T6.
But if want to powder coat them go straight ahead, just dont say that anyone on this forum told you too.
Two pack epoxy urethane is the product you want, applied in the next booth on the chain after the blast clean.
Hammerite smooth works OK too, red Aluminum primer primer and gold top coat, but not as tough as epoxy urethane.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I'm with Boff and I would ad new wheel bearings and seals.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Good point, If they are heat treated...yea that's bad! They wont be any more after oven bake!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

They came up well. I'll check bearings and replace seals.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
dirtsurfer

Post by dirtsurfer »

Nice wheels!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

dirtsurfer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:43 pm Nice wheels!
Thanks. They look good. They were cheap too, less than $100 the pair.
Their cost is escalating though. Getting them cleaned up was $100 after a couple of hours of prep by me.
I've just been quoted $120 per wheel for powdercoat and $220 per wheel for two pack paint.

Then there's bearings and seals!

I'm torn between doing the rattle can paint myself which should be cheapest, verses powdercoat. I've had powdercoat before and never an issue despite other occasional advice. It lasts well, looks good.

I might shop around re powder coat. The colour range isn't quite as good either though.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Sounds like you are having your leg pulled - I had both wheels of a VFR done for $180- , red paint blasted off silver/grey added.
But I had to wait until a batch of the same color was going through - it wad a large production shop and there actually was a chain line, and they were just another item on the chain.
Biggest problem with painting aluminum finding a good etch primer, and the red Hammerite primer is one of the few retail products that works for most.
I recently posted a link on another forum to a trade supplier in Melbourne who sells excellent gear cheaply. and you picked up on that.
I just repainted a swinging arm for my F650 with their silver and clear top coat, and the top coat is really tough, harder than anything else I have found in a rattle can.
It was actually a real pig to compound out - needed 2000 grit paper first, it was so hard.
Their Brayt ? cutting compound is tops too, put a real shine on the clear and I even used it last night to put a final shine on the alternator cover from my G/S!
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Why would you want a red primer? Seems that any paint chips would show red, or is that the only color that is available? Wheels look great Steve I guess I should try and find a set before it's too late. Do these wheels eventually wear out? Is there evidence that heating them for powder coat weakens them. My KTM has a lot of powder coat, and it holds up really well.
Any and all disclaimers may apply