Buying 100RT with sidecar?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Mrducati

Buying 100RT with sidecar?

Post by Mrducati »

Hi!

I'm looking for my first R-series, and a 100RT with a sidecar is for sale in my region. However I never intended to ride with a sidecar. Is the rebuild back to regular motorbike extensive? Or just remove sidecar and ride as is? Are parts expensive? Bike seems a tad expensive considering condition. Any thoughts? Is it better to wait for a bike that is what I want in the first place?
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG (73.65 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Steve in Golden

Re: Buying 100RT with sidecar?

Post by Steve in Golden »

I'd keep looking, sidecars are tough on bikes. I wouldn't want to mess around putting the bike back to pre-sidecar status, plus what would you do with the sidecar after removing it? Not worth the hassle in my not so humble opinion.

Also, Welcome Aboard!!!
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

You'll need a new front end...that bike has a true leading link suspension and that would need to be replaced before solo use. Sidecar use can be hard on a bike too...to include the transmission as well as increased heating on the right side cylinder due to the unusual air flow.

Kurt in S.A.
Mrducati

Post by Mrducati »

Steve in Golden wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:47 pm I'd keep looking, sidecars are tough on bikes. I wouldn't want to mess around putting the bike back to pre-sidecar status, plus what would you do with the sidecar after removing it? Not worth the hassle in my not so humble opinion.

Also, Welcome Aboard!!!
thank you for your opinion Steve! Good point that a sidecar is tough on bikes. I guess I would try to sell the sidecar even if the marked is limited. The most tempting aspect is the close vincinety of the bike, plus it is a 100. Most bikes I see for sale are smaller.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

What year is it? The 1981-1984 bikes are hard on valves and valve seats. Adding a sidecar and the associated demands only make the situation worse. It's not a killer issue but it's something that needs to be factored in.

Kurt in S.A.
Mrducati

Post by Mrducati »

Thank you for your responses Kurt! This bike is a '68. It has a unoriginal engine. According to vehicle authority's in Norway it had an R60 engine originally. Don't know what year the engine is. So it is an oddball bike to start with. Originality is not a big issue for me.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Hmmm...a '68 means that it's a /2 of some variety. Any other pictures? The engine VIN should be on the right side above the cylinder. Sure would be nice to know the VIN...this could be an orphan engine that could match to a frame that's out there.

Kurt in S.A.
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

It could be a conversion with the express purpose of pulling a sidecar. /2 frame with sidecar attaching points from the factory. Leading link front end with disc brakes suitable to handle the extra weight of a sidecar and reducing trail to make steering much easier. An R100 engine stuffed in for more power to push it all down the road. The fairing would have to be custom fitted to have an RT fairing on a /2 frame. I would really want to know who did the conversion before dropping dollars on the table.

If you decide not to make an offer, tell us where it is located. It would be right up the alley of a sidecar guy.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
Seth

Post by Seth »

I must be confused but from the picture, it looks something like an 1983 R100RT. From the tank, the seat, and what looks like the cowl behind the seat. Not counting the RT fairing. Guess you might be able to adapt them to a /2 frame.
Mrducati

Post by Mrducati »

Thank you all for replying and good advice! Unfortunately I have no other pictures. I think I will let it pass considering what you say about extra wear on the bike from pulling the sidecar. Here is the link to the ad. It is located 15 minutes from Oslo airport. https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=120494844