Just bought my first airhead!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Mrducati

Just bought my first airhead!

Post by Mrducati »

I finally managed to buy a bike! I have found this 1989 R100RT. I have not seen it or driven it yet, but bought it unseen from a dealer. I am totally thrilled! Like a child! Will pick it up next Friday.
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2394.JPG (85.85 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
dwerbil

Re: Just bought my first airhead!

Post by dwerbil »

Congrats! Although I have no experience with a newer airhead as this one, it looks like you found a clean machine. Hope he has the carbs dialed in and ready to go for you. Keep us up to date.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Nice!
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Congrats and welcome aboard !
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Mrducati

Post by Mrducati »

Thank you! Now Friday can't come soon enough!
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Some of us have experience with the later models. What to watch for, weekly inspections, weak points, etc. Just let us know how we can help.

Generally with a bike in this condition, its BIGGEST fault is that it hasn't been really ridden recently. Top up the tires with the proper air, fill it up with high octane fuel, pour in an ounce of StarTron fuel treatment, check the engine oil level (do NOT screw the dip stick in to check) and hit the road. 200 miles later you're riding a completely different bike !!

Change the engine oil all you want (20W50), but check with us before you attempt to change the engine oil filter. It's easy to blow up the engine without knowing the BMW tricks.

8-)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
hal

Post by hal »

Congrats, looks great!
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
fgr33n

Post by fgr33n »

From the pics this bike look really clean! Looks like it lived inside and someone took good care of it. I think you are going to have some fun!
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Really nice!!! Hope you love it.
Mrducati

Post by Mrducati »

Wobbly wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:42 pm Some of us have experience with the later models. What to watch for, weekly inspections, weak points, etc. Just let us know how we can help.

Generally with a bike in this condition, its BIGGEST fault is that it hasn't been really ridden recently. Top up the tires with the proper air, fill it up with high octane fuel, pour in an ounce of StarTron fuel treatment, check the engine oil level (do NOT screw the dip stick in to check) and hit the road. 200 miles later you're riding a completely different bike !!

Change the engine oil all you want (20W50), but check with us before you attempt to change the engine oil filter. It's easy to blow up the engine without knowing the BMW tricks.

8-)
That's really good advice! Thank you Wobbly! And thanks for welcoming Words!
The bike has some issues, but for the Money I payed (2750£) it is still a good buy. There is some valve noise, the left front shock is leaking, and there is a tiny fuelleak when parked (or possibly all the time).