Starter Ring Gear Reversal

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: Starter Ring Gear Reversal

Post by ME 109 »

Jeez now I'm questioning my memory re the lead in. I hope this isn't a junior senior moment. :geek:
Lord of the Bings
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Ha classic, either way your right I’m going to need a replacement as the starter ring has an indented groove on one side where it fixes to clutch carrier.
If I could flip the thing it would sit further out as it is not the same on other side and wouldn’t engage with the Bendix drive. One guy just quoted me 210 aud for a used one here’s hoping that Facebook group comes through!
1986 BMW R80RT
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Motorworks want 75 quid for them, so $210- seems the going rate.
In Oz I have pay more than that for a rear tire, so it doesn't sound too much like a disaster too me.
The problem was probably caused by either a dud starter or a dud battery so might be best having them both checked out as well.
With a new Valeo and Motobatt you should get out for less than $400- , no one ever said running an old airhead is going to be cheap, things do wear out!
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Thanks Boss yeah I understand, normally wouldn't batt an eye however I started a partial rebuild thinking Id have it back on the road in a few weeks that has now taken on a life of its own. I found issues with Transmission so needed to rebuild, this was after deciding to swap the front end with a Ducati 700SS and associated costs of engineering a new triple tree stem. Then found issues with heads so ended up rebuilding those also. Turns out seals and bits and bobs and engineering time can add up pretty quickly! haha
Classic over optimistic under planned project :)
1986 BMW R80RT
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Also thinking i might get a second hand one a bit cheaper than paying full whack for something new
1986 BMW R80RT
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

There's a bloke in Melbourne who's bound to have one but the postage would make it less attractive.
These ring gears don't bugger up too much so there are bound to be some in NZ.

Here's a bloke someone on ADV suggests, I put a 'wanted in NZ' add in the flea bay for you.

Try Kane at R Twin Works (Phone Kane on: 027 266 5335 or 06 354 6896)
Lord of the Bings
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Thanks mate your posts are extremely helpful, unfortunately Kane doesn't have anything on hand do you have contact details for the guy in Melbourne?

Thanks again boss!
1986 BMW R80RT
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

The guy in Melb is looking for a F650 frame for me - so when,if, when he calls me back I will ask him.
But he is neither cheap or helpful.
Still, I suppose more chance he might still have one!
Oz postage is probably going the kill it however, going to the UK it is 3 to 5 times the cost of post from the UK to here.
Like $350- for a shock!
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Perfect thanks! Im in NZ so hopefully won't incur costs similar to shipping to UK!
1986 BMW R80RT
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I bought a clutch carrier from the Melbourne guy a few years ago for $40

I just sent him a text to see if he has a good one.

Cost you $300 NZ for a new one delivered from Motobins.
Lord of the Bings