Front Armature Bushing Removal

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
neonwall

Front Armature Bushing Removal

Post by neonwall »

Evening all, quick question has anyone got a good idea on removal of the bushing in bendix housing?

I pulled my starter apart as there was excessive play in armature shaft, which had caused the teeth on my flywheel to be chewed up assumably as it wouldn't engage properly when thrown forward. Turns out bushing on its way out as part of the inner lip already falling away.

Also recommendations on bendix teeth? Serviceable? or get a new one

Thanks in advance! Images attached

Regards

1986 BMW R80RT
Beemerboff

Re: Front Armature Bushing Removal

Post by Beemerboff »

Good cheap Valeo knock offs are around.
EME and Moteren Israel sell them with a decent warranty so the cant be that bad, and I have never found that replacing a few parts in a well worn stater to be a particularly long term solution.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Any and all disclaimers may apply
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Use a hand-held Dremel hobby grinder to cut a notch length-wise in the bronze bush. The bush will collapse to a smaller OD and fall out.

Then warm the case with a heat gun, and use a press (or bench vice) to squeeze the new bush into place. DO NOT hammer the new bush in. If you do it will not be aligned with the hole in the housing and you also run the risk of peening one end closed. You'll simply spend another 2 hours trying to align the hole in the bush with the starter armature. A slow, steady, push is what's required.

PS. The worn bush points to a lack of starter lubrication. My previous post should not be ignored.

;)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
neonwall

Post by neonwall »

Perfect thanks great advice, may try a hacksaw blade I can make a full length cut. Your thoughts on the condition of the teeth also greatly appreciated thanks boss
1986 BMW R80RT
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

Wobbly , starter bushes are made from self lubricating bronze, and need no further lubrication - your posts re lubing them are just on of the things that people have a good laugh at!

Oilite was the generic name 90 years ago ,or google self lubricating bronze bush if you want to understand why they need no lube!
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Beemerboff, the idea that you cannot manually lubricate a pre-lubricated bushing is equally ridiculous.

All the best.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Wobbly wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am Beemerboff, the idea that you cannot manually lubricate a pre-lubricated bushing is equally ridiculous.

All the best.
Beemeroff never said that.....That's fake news.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

C'mon, you lot. Play nice.

The BMW workshop manual for my R90 states that a new bronze bush should be soaked in engine oil for 30 minutes before pressing into place.

O, and if you try to gently tap the bush in because you are too lazy to set up a press you will find that it can shatter into several pieces quite easily. This is not fake nooze - I know this for sure.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Airbear wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 pm
O, and if you try to gently tap the bush in because you are too lazy to set up a press you will find that it can shatter into several pieces quite easily. This is not fake nooze - I know this for sure.
Were you being indelicate? :geek: