Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Re: Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Post by melville »

Front brake adventures today!

I polished the bejeezus out of the caliper last summer, but six months on the bottom shelf of my chemical cabinet was not good for it:

But just a few minutes with the buffer and I can use it for a shaving mirror again:

I'd forgotten about my favorite brake fluid (been using cheeeeep NAPA on the VWs the last couple years) but a little interdisciplinary reading (HOT ROD!) reminded me of Carroll Smith's favorite:

As he wrote 25 years ago, Ford designed it not for racing, but for something even harder on brake fluid--Grandpa dragging the brakes with his left toe in his Lincoln Continental.

All mounted up:

And the test ride, now with proper moto boots:

And how it looks now:

I'll probably get maybe an hour a week on this project for the next ten weeks, getting little bits of it done. I could be riding in May!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

I could be riding in May!
Me too! ;)

It looks great, Melville! You are a champion restorer, in my book. Image

That is some VERY red paint, there!
melville

Post by melville »

R65 Rob wrote:
I could be riding in May!
Me too! ;)

It looks great, Melville! You are a champion restorer, in my book. Image

That is some VERY red paint, there!
I look forward to reading a ride report from you, and writing some of my own.

Red is faster!

I'm pleased with the front brake results, although I may spend some time bleeding it some more, and I'll try the Chuey toe strap trick. Presently, on a scale that Chuey would know, I'm getting Campagnolo NR bite, but Modolo Speedy lever feel.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

melville wrote: I'm getting Campagnolo NR bite, but Modolo Speedy lever feel.
Looking for that 'V' brake excellence!

Chuey
melville

Post by melville »

Chuey wrote:

Chuey
I can't use those! Those are made for stopping. I only want to slow down at the most.
melville

Post by melville »

So I haven't done dick on it the last ten weeks, but hell season is almost over at the Number Factory. Today was probably my last working Saturday this year, and a short one at that. After some yard work, I had a few minutes to roll it out into the sun and clean the winter's dust off it. After that, my younger boy and I had some coaster fun. We did a short brake test in the driveway, and then I pushed it up the street and coasted back. ATGATT, of course. He rode his bicycle beside me, yakking up a storm.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

melville wrote:
Chuey wrote:

Chuey
I can't use those! Those are made for stopping. I only want to slow down at the most.
I always hated that excuse that Campy made for their brakes. Good brakes stop well and are modulate-able. Campy's contention that brakes that stop well don't modulate well was horse dooky and typically Italian. Fact was (is) that I think Campy brakes do have adequate power and modulation so I do not hesitate to use them. I use V brakes on my mountain bikes because I like them better than discs. Actually, they are disc brakes...with advantages!

The bike, she is looking good. I'm working on a R100 that I'm doing from the ground up. Maybe I'll be done about the same time as you and Rob.

Chuey
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Chuey wrote:Maybe I'll be done about the same time as you and Rob.
Rob & the R65 went 300 miles this most recent weekend!

Here it is at the Ohio Airhead's Spring Tune-up Fest!
click for the gallery

It was a 3-day affair! A wonderful time, even if I did have to be social.
(I even got to see that Mecca of Airhead Parts: Re-Psycle!!!)
melville

Post by melville »

justoneoftheguys wrote:

click for the gallery

W00t! Good to see you in motion again.

Yesterday I foodled about with the electrics but I still don't have the starter relay functioning. I hear a wee click inside the headlight shell as I release the button. I'm going to clean the contacts and get a good hot charge on the battery and try again next weekend.
Deleted User 62

Way To Go, Rob!!!

Post by Deleted User 62 »

justoneoftheguys wrote:

click for the gallery

I guess you'll have to change your moniker back to R65Rob again, no?