Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Re: Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Post by melville »

SteveD wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 am This thread is difficult with photobucket links. :twisted: :evil:

Hey Melville, your colour scheme...red-burgundy with gold stripes? Is that an oem scheme?
No, it's the official melville bicycle racing colors. Candyish red w/yellow.

Indeed, I'm hating the PB folks right now. This board was set up so we couldn't edit stuff after 30 days IIRC in an effort to rein in Funholiday/Supershaft, otherwise I'd be fixing at least some of the links.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I was talking to a bloke today that was describing his 75/6. Red/burgundy with gold stripes..said it was an oem scheme, maybe for Sth Africa. I said I'd only ever seen one...some bloke in California :D

I moved most of my pix to SmugMug & Imgur.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

No pics:(
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Steve in Golden

Re: Photobucket

Post by Steve in Golden »

Since us inmates own the forum it is certainly possible to allow old posts to be edited. Shall we allow this for a while? Just say the word and I will temporarily change it so Mel can fix his photo links.

Damn PhotoBucket anyway!
melville

Post by melville »

Steve in Golden wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 pm Since us inmates own the forum it is certainly possible to allow old posts to be edited. Shall we allow this for a while? Just say the word and I will temporarily change it so Mel can fix his photo links.

Damn PhotoBucket anyway!
That would be nice. I've still got hella work going on, so I might not get to fixin' until July or August.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Sure let Mel fix the pictures on his thread. We all like to see what's up via pictures in these restorations.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Steve in Golden wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 pm Since us inmates own the forum it is certainly possible to allow old posts to be edited. Shall we allow this for a while? Just say the word and I will temporarily change it so Mel can fix his photo links.

Damn PhotoBucket anyway!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
melville

Post by melville »

SteveD wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 am

Damn PhotoBucket anyway!
I actually logged in to PB to check on what size wrench I was going to need to remove my GPS mount so I could bring the right size wrench to my remote bike storage to prep for a trip. The process took a good five minutes for the page to load and then accept my username and PW and then for the ads to clear.

I have a couple hundred pix in this thread that are only on PB because of a computer dying a few years ago. Once logged in, it's not that big a deal to download them from PB and reload them to SmugMug, but the login is a bitch.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Woo Hoo! no pics :(
Any and all disclaimers may apply
melville

Post by melville »

The exhaust valve clearances have been closing up at each valve adjustment. I actually did a couple valve adjustments whilst on a 2000+ mile road trip, including one at 3:00 in the morning in Ely Nevada:

I'd have done it the afternoon before, but it was 100+ deg F out there. 62ish degrees under the full moon.

Yes, I'm using TP for shop towels. So going over my logbook, the valve clearances had been stable until the past year. They've closed up at least .020" since then. That's enough recession, quickly enough, that it's time to get the heads rebuilt. I need to have this bike ready for pillion auditions this fall. My local guy gave me a quote for $$$ and time, and he'll get the heads tomorrow, when he opens for business. Today's task was to get the heads off. Here's the right one:

And the left one:

I don't know if it comes across in two dimensions, but both exhausts are flush with the surface of the seat. I don't know if it's the margin used up on the valve or the seat receding, but it's time to replace both.

Reassembly posts to come in a few weeks.