Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Re: Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Post by melville »

George Ryals wrote:http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/98/
This link should go to an Airheads Tech article. It has all of the BMW relays with terminal numbers.
Thanks! That should get me close enough not to burn anything down. As I lack the numbers on the relay, the color diagrams are the thing that makes that special.

Today's conundrum--I read this:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/perch/index.htm

And became quite convinced I had dropped the perch wedge, so I bought a couple. Trouble is, I don't seem to have a groove/notch/relief for the perch wedge. Here's how it looks in my perch:

Am I missing something here? Do I now have perch wedges to sell?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
gspd

Post by gspd »

What year is your bike?
They stopped having those wedges in the 19 ? ? model year.
If you tighten down the pinch screw and the whole thing rotates easily on the handlebar,
you need the wedges.
I don't see the wedge cutout in yours.
Sue Duane.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
melville

Post by melville »

gspd wrote:What year is your bike?
They stopped having those wedges in the 19 ? ? model year.
If you tighten down the pinch screw and the whole thing rotates easily on the handlebar,
you need the wedges.
I don't see the wedge cutout in yours.
Sue Duane.
It's a 1975 /6 and they are reputed to be a part through the /7. I have to do some post PC clean-up before they get clamped on the bars, but I am the sort of gorilla who could make a wedge-type clamp solidly, until it cracked, and felt safer having the parts on hand.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
melville

Post by melville »

Finished foodling about with the hand controls and got them mounted:

The other shoe has dropped and Mrs. melville, justifiably nervous that I might finish the darn thing and actually ride it, has started painting a room. I am, of course, involved in this process. Moving furniture, ripping up nasty carpet, and so on. I also wonder if she clogged the bathroom sink drain this morning. Fixing that took me to the roof to get a straight shot at the clog when working it from below only sent the snake UP the vent.

That, and the money is momentarily tight. I have enough paid for and/or in process to make it a roller, but not all the bits have come home to roost yet.

After getting the levers on the bars I put the old seat on to check the fit of the controls, like so:

Just where I though they should be. Yes, I'm making motorcycle noises as I sit there. Mrs. melville has volunteered to push me around on the dolly.
gspd

Post by gspd »

Push you around on a dolly?
Wuss.
Get her to tow you around town with her car.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

The red headlight shell and ears looks very very nice!

Chuey
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Those tennis shoes have GOT to go.
MS - out
Lasse

Post by Lasse »

Colours look familiar :)
melville

Post by melville »

Major Softie wrote:Those tennis shoes have GOT to go.
Yeah, I thought about getting my boots on for the pic. Not quite ATGATT there--what a terrible example I'm setting.
Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

I found them! Now YOU TOO can own a pair of these fine shoes!

http://www.amazon.com/Converse-PRODUCT- ... sbs_shoe_3