Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

melville wrote:Yep, time for the spring re-bling. It was a regular season game this time, Giants at Padres, Lincecum pitching. Going from this:

(Poor airhead photos removed from quote.)

To this:

(Gorgeous airhead photos removed from quote.)

Took the entirety of the 5th through the 8th innings.

(Some words removed from quote.)
So, Melville, what did you use for a buffer and compounds. For a buffer did you use a simple drill motor or something higher speed? For the aluminum what did you use for buffing compound. For stainless steel I'm presuming you use chromium oxide.

Ken, needing a little buffing myself in Oklahoma

Post by Major Softie »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Ken, needing a little buffing myself in Oklahoma
See if you can come to some kind of arrangement with the nymphs....
MS - out
Ken in Oklahoma

Major Softie wrote:
Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Ken, needing a little buffing myself in Oklahoma
See if you can come to some kind of arrangement with the nymphs....
I appreciate the advice, but I think I'll stay with the boffing. It just never seems to get old.

Ken

Post by melville »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
melville wrote:Yep, time for the spring re-bling. It was a regular season game this time, Giants at Padres, Lincecum pitching. Going from this:

(Poor airhead photos removed from quote.)

To this:

(Gorgeous airhead photos removed from quote.)

Took the entirety of the 5th through the 8th innings.

(Some words removed from quote.)
So, Melville, what did you use for a buffer and compounds. For a buffer did you use a simple drill motor or something higher speed? For the aluminum what did you use for buffing compound. For stainless steel I'm presuming you use chromium oxide.

Ken, needing a little buffing myself in Oklahoma
The wheels get a 4" cotton buff mounted on a corded drill, grey (CrO2??) compound. Levers, pedals, lower triple, and other small bits were by hand with a liquid polish, one that has no ammonia. If a polish has any ammonia in it, it reacts very quickly with the ocean air here and looks spotty a day later.

This winter the exhaust is most likely coming off and will get the treatment on the big buffer.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ken in Oklahoma

melville wrote:The wheels get a 4" cotton buff mounted on a corded drill, grey (CrO2??) compound. Levers, pedals, lower triple, and other small bits were by hand with a liquid polish, one that has no ammonia. If a polish has any ammonia in it, it reacts very quickly with the ocean air here and looks spotty a day later.
And more than a little elbow grease it would appear.

Thanks. I've filed this away in my memory banks. Sure hope I can remember where I put it.

Ken

Post by melville »

Working on #3 of the winter moto list. As stated, I'm a goofyfoot surfer, like our hero Robert August:

Note the right foot forward.. Contrary to how BMW set the bike up, shown here with pegs off the bike:

I'd like to at least make them even:

But what about the kinematic shifter? I'd seen later kinematics that used a threaded rod to connect two ball joints. Now, where to find such things?

It seems they can be found on the ends of expired /6 steering dampers:

A little cleaning, sanding, and painting, and things are looking great:

Now to make the linkage rod. I took a community college machine shop class the winter before last and once my graded projects were done I got a good jump on the bits I'd need for the shifter move. First, I turned a 1/4 SS rod down to 6mm and threaded one end (polished it, too!):

And started on a shifter mount:

Both those pieces to be cut to size for installation.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

On my R90S, I have CC Products rearsets. The left one has an adjustable rod with left hand and right hand 1/4 X 28 threads. So far, I got some 1/4" SS rod and a left hand die (had the right hand one) and have threaded the left hand end. There is a dog leg bend in the middle and I have not done that bend yet.

Oh, the reason I need a new shift rod is because the one that came with the used set of rearsets I got has bad threads that look like they were made by someone who never used a die before.

Chuey
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Years back there was a boxerworker that made and sold SS kinematic linkages. He sold direct and via ebay. He may have even been one of the inaugural KiO rally attendees. Justin was his first name if I recall correctly? Maybe Justin Bowser???
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Rob

Post by Rob »

SteveD wrote:Years back there was a boxerworker that made and sold SS kinematic linkages. He sold direct and via ebay. He may have even been one of the inaugural KiO rally attendees. Justin was his first name if I recall correctly? Maybe Justin Bowser???
You are correct about Justin making some, but once his batch ran out, he didn't make any more (as of a few years ago).
Rob V
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

He must've had a good source for the SS bits and pieces. They were very reasonably priced and very well made.
I was lucky enough to get hold of one as my oem one at the time was becoming shonky.
They can't be too hard to source quality bits to make them.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.