Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Re: Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Post by melville »

I have a new toy:

With it I can do this:

It crimps on both the wire and the housing simultaneously. I do need to get a wider variety of terminals for the various wire sizes and connection specifics. But no more of those hardware store terminals on my stuff anymore.

Using that, I was able to wire this in:

What is that, you ask? I'll tell you:

It's a double USB port. I can power my geocaching GPS device and save the batteries whilst in transit and at the same time charge something (camera or phone) in the tankbag.

The magnetic bit is the on/off switch. There's a bit of steel in the cap. If the cap is on, there's no power going to the unit. Remove cap, and the light colored bits glow faintly green indicating power to the unit.

Also got the freshly PC pegs mounted:

Fresh rubbers go on today and I'll finalize the exhaust reinstallation. Then I can put the tank back on and fire it up. Bit of a shame it's raining today.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Where have you been getting the crimp on connectors with the cuff for the insulation?

Chuey
melville

Post by melville »

Chuey wrote:Where have you been getting the crimp on connectors with the cuff for the insulation?

Chuey
Amazon.com! But I'm having trouble finding female spades for 10 or 12 gauge wire, which I'll need for the headlight stuff. I also need to find some 6mm (1/4") ring terminals. There are a few automotive electric shops in town. While they have disappointed me in the past, I may poke my head in to see if they have sources.

I don't think my crimperizer will do the flag terminals BMW uses, either. But there may be alternative anvils available for it.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Melville, I like the looks and results of that crimper and I think I would like to have one of my very own. The trouble is identifying what you bought. When I look on Amazon I get lots of pro'skit crimpers designed for different terminals and applications. Is there more information on the package that can help me to narrow down the search? I do prefer Amazon.

Also do you have an identifier for the terminals you showed and used? That too could take a significant search, I think.

Thanks

Ken

Post by melville »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:Melville, I like the looks and results of that crimper and I think I would like to have one of my very own. The trouble is identifying what you bought. When I look on Amazon I get lots of pro'skit crimpers designed for different terminals and applications. Is there more information on the package that can help me to narrow down the search? I do prefer Amazon.

Also do you have an identifier for the terminals you showed and used? That too could take a significant search, I think.

Thanks

Ken
No problem. The crimpificator:

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-300-005-R ... k129040-20

The terminals for 14 to 18 gauge wire:

http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-6-4mm-Fem ... k129040-20

Let me know if you find female spade terminals for 10 to 12 gauge wire.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Here is a good source for terminals, they carry a really large variety of styles and manufacturers.

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/con ... aQodSusMWg
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

I've made some really nice main battery ground wires out of super choice welding cable. The ends, I was getting at the welding supply shop but found a great supply at a small local chain of hardware stores. For crimping duty, I've ground the edge of a cold chisel to where it's about 2mm flat on the former cutting edge. (I found the chisel and a whole set of cheapo related tools strewn along a back road on a bicycle ride so it's not a top quality chisel I've compromised.) I open the vise jaws just a bit less than 1/4" to cradle the connector and then smack it with that chisel two or three times. Validation testing consists of trying to pull the connection loose, which I can't do so I figure that it's A-O-K. Some artful double shrink tubing action finishes off my cables.

The other aspect that I think makes my cables nice is that I take two connectors and smash one of the wire sockets flat and silver solder it at a 90 degree angle to another which is then crimped onto the wire. This is used at the top of the ground wire to connect it to the battery. Therefore, the wire makes a straight path to the transmission bolt instead of an arc.

Chuey
melville

Post by melville »

Another winter is done, and it's finally stopped raining. I spent the afternoon in the shed finishing my winter maintenance. I reinstalled the battery fresh off the tender to start.

The VW Bus dip relay I'd wired in had perished, so I replaced that and redid the terminals at that end of the harness I put together so I now have proper crimps and none of that hardware store crap. I got it back together and found I had no low beam. So the headlamp came out and I found that the low beam was out in the bulb.

A quick trip to NAPA and the replacement was soon at hand, only $7.04 with tax! Cheaper than my VWs!

After everything was buttoned up, I opened the fuel taps enough to fill the bowls, pulled the chokes, flipped everything to 'on' and pushed the red button. NANANANAVROOOOOOM!

I'm feeling good and I should get out on it this week even with jury duty starting tomorrow.
Rob

Post by Rob »

melville wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:34 pm
Rob V likes this post
Rob V
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

This thread is difficult with photobucket links. :twisted: :evil:

Hey Melville, your colour scheme...red-burgundy with gold stripes? Is that an oem scheme?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.