Removing stuck axle

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Removing stuck axle

Post by Zombie Master »

A buddy of mine just had to tow his 1983 R100RT back from a tour because of a rear wheel bearing failure. This same bearing failed 10,000 miles ago. He is having a terrible time attempting to extract the axle from the caliper mount. Seems like it has welded itself in there!

Any ideas? :?:
StephenB

Re: Removing stuck axle

Post by StephenB »

I can't help with any smart advice other than wacking it. If all else fails or in order to protect whats still there and working (such as the FD), cut the axle close to the wheel on the left hand side and cut it again close to the left side swingarm. He should now be able to remove the final drive with the wheel attached and carry on on a bench. It should be possible to remove the big axle nut and separate wheel and final drive without damaging the final drive.

Your buddy may consider buying a new wheel or have a steel sleeve fabricated as the races mostly likely spun ... once he gets the axle out. But most importantly, your buddy needs to learn how to adjust wheel bearings as they should survive several airhead lifetimes without failing. Or sue the shop that did it.
Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]
http://www.stephenbottcher.net
gspd

Post by gspd »

Only 10,000 miles eh?
I doubt that the axle is seized in the caliper mount, or in the final drive housing.
more than likely the bearing preload was too tight and a bearing partially welded itself to the axle.
If so, the only thing you can do is try smashing it out and see what is salvageable afterwards.
The severity of the seizure and damage caused cannot be assessed until it comes apart.

As a last resort, if a pneumatic impact hammer won't budge it, cut the axle off with a sawzall as close to the wheel as you can to remove the wheel from the bike, and then remove and replace the complete bearing stack and axle.
The hub may need replacing too if the damage is too severe.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
esman100

Post by esman100 »

Before cutting and beating on it I would try soaking the piss out of it with a good penetrating oil. Most likely it is welded, but if he didn't grease the axle the last time it was a part it is possible it could just be corroded.
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

GSPD is on the money......
Belt the crap out of it.
DAHIK.
esman100's idea will also assist.
Lord of the Bings
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

gspd wrote:The hub may need replacing too if the damage is too severe.
It's a 1983 so it has snowflakes most likely: no hub to replace only the complete wheel.
Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]
http://www.stephenbottcher.net
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I noticed a washer welded onto the outside caliper mount. But I don't see one in parts book. Anybody know where I can see a blow up for this assembly? :geek:
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

The only ones that I remember were welded tight. That is caused by not setting the preload properly.

Oh, yes, I remember one that was rusted up after about 20 years of sitting out in CA weather. Same solution, beat on it.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.