headlight only working when switch is in down position

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
airhead

headlight only working when switch is in down position

Post by airhead »

No low beam, no parking light, no high beam when I flip the switch up. All I have is the high beam when the switch is in the down position (had to ride home with my thumb on that switch).

My plan is to just start cleaning connections unless someone tells me its obviously the switch or something :?:
It was relayed about 6 years ago if that could be a factor, but I believe the work was done well.
..........................................................................................................

My sincere apologies, I've searched the archives of this board to answer many maintenance/repair questions so when I couldn't search the archives I registered with a username I could remember to post this question. :oops:

Though I do not know the people on this board who have clearly created a sense of online community, I do thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge over the years. I'm sure there are many other people who do not post on this forum, but have also searched the archives many times to find answers to their exact questions! ;)

I was unable to delete this post, so please delete my post and lock this username.
Last edited by airhead on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: headlight only working when switch is in down position

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

airhead wrote:No low beam, no parking light, no high beam when I flip the switch up. All I have is the high beam when the switch is in the down position (had to ride home with my thumb on that switch).

My plan is to just start cleaning connections unless someone tells me its obviously the switch or something :?:
It was relayed about 6 years ago if that could be a factor, but I believe the work was done well.

Thanks!
Your problem is fairly common I hear. It happened to me once on a /7 which, will be the same as your /6 in the area of concern. My problem, if I remember correctly, was the headlight relay. Your headlight relay, though young, could still be the culprit.

Going on. As you may know, your headlight high beam can receive power from two different sources. One would be through the headlight relay with the headlight switch on and the dipper switch in the high beam position. (With your dipper switch in the low beam position it will be the low beam that receives the power of course.) It's different though when you hold the dipper switch in the "flash" position. The power is fed around the headlight relay to the high beam only. That particular feature has gotten several airhead riders (including me) home in the dark. (While annoying oncoming drivers--tough!).

When you turn your headlight on (engine not running of course) can you hear the headlight relay click in the headlight shell? It should. Or if the headlight on/off switch is already on you should hear the click as you turn the key.

I've focused on the headlight relay here. The problem doesn't have to be in the relay. It could be anywhere in the circuit. And, as you already suspect, it could be some ugly wiring connections.

Ken

Post by Max Headroom »

I had a bit of a surprise to see that user name again. We obviously forgot to mention to Matt or Kelley the history behind it.

Damn.
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

- Mark Twain
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Just to clarify Mr Headroom’s statement above, the name “Airhead” is regarded as sacred in this forum. It belonged to one of the heroes here, a very knowledgeable, generous and entertaining poster. Sadly he died a couple of years ago, and is sadly missed.

In the previous incarnation of Boxerworks the name was blocked. It appears that this limitation has not been applied to the new software.

Could you please re-register with another handle? It should be easy enough to save your question, use the edit button to delete the thread, then re-register with a different name and post your question again. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it would really be appreciated by all here. Thanks.

O, and welcome aboard. Stick around, there are some very experienced and helpful people here. Have a look around. You will learn heaps. I’m sure there will be some helpful advice along shortly.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I'm sure our new friend will understand when we say that the name 'Airhead' is forever enshrined with the memory of our dear friend Bill Emery.
As this is the new version of the Boxerworks forum, it is obvious that 'we' didn't see the potential for Airhead's handle to become available again.
I'm sure Matt will help us again preserve the memory of Bill.

To our new friend on Boxerworks, would you please choose another 'handle' and stay and enjoy our forum.

ME 109
Lord of the Bings
Ken in Oklahoma

Oops!

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Airbear wrote:Just to clarify Mr Headroom’s statement above, the name “Airhead” is regarded as sacred in this forum. It belonged to one of the heroes here, a very knowledgeable, generous and entertaining poster. Sadly he died a couple of years ago, and is sadly missed.

In the previous incarnation of Boxerworks the name was blocked. It appears that this limitation has not been applied to the new software.

Could you please re-register with another handle? It should be easy enough to save your question, use the edit button to delete the thread, then re-register with a different name and post your question again. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it would really be appreciated by all here. Thanks.

O, and welcome aboard. Stick around, there are some very experienced and helpful people here. Have a look around. You will learn heaps. I’m sure there will be some helpful advice along shortly.

When I saw the author name on the first post I read it as Airbear, not airhead. Either my reading or cognition skills, or both, are badly wanting. No doubt my post looked strange both to the soon to be renamed "airhead" and the inimitable Airbear.

Ken, confused in Oklahoma
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Oops!

Post by Airbear »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
When I saw the author name on the first post I read it as Airbear, not airhead. Either my reading or cognition skills, or both, are badly wanting. No doubt my post looked strange both to the soon to be renamed "airhead" and the inimitable Airbear.

But Ken, didn't you stop to ask yourself, "Now why would Airbear ask a question with that sort of concise brevity?"

Charlie, slightly miffed in Australia
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
grant81rs

Re: Oops!

Post by grant81rs »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Airbear wrote:Just to clarify Mr Headroom’s statement above, the name “Airhead” is regarded as sacred in this forum. It belonged to one of the heroes here, a very knowledgeable, generous and entertaining poster. Sadly he died a couple of years ago, and is sadly missed.

Same here Ken, I thought bloody hell!!, Charlies had the ass end of bike spread all over the kichen table these past weeks making "Michael of the Jungle" rather uncomfortable looking and now he's diving into the front of it with the wire cutters and electric tape in hand. This blokes on fire is was thinking!!
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
gspd

Post by gspd »

It's either a switch, relay or wiring issue.
Piece 'o' cake.
I'll walk you through it if you have a test light and know how to use it..
You'll just have to poke a wire with the test light and say yes (ON) or no (OFF).

First, test the test light; clipped to battery negative, it should light up when poking battery positive.
step 2 - poke the yellow/white wire at the handlebar switch; Yes or no?

If YES, the headlight on/off switch is faulty.

If NO, we will delve deeper.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
Jean

Ken? /6?

Post by Jean »

How did you know he had a /6? I did not find that info in the post or the profile.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5