Browns side stand install

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
00weel

Re: Browns side stand install

Post by 00weel »

Scot wrote:Neil, I guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining my suggestion.

I was talking about a bit of weld or some kind of spacer to build up the area that stops the side stand when it's retracted. Then, it would stop short of hitting the muffler. Still not a very good job of 'splanin', but do ya git my drift, now?
Scot,

That sounds like an easy fix and should work.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Scot wrote:Neil, I guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining my suggestion.

I was talking about a bit of weld or some kind of spacer to build up the area that stops the side stand when it's retracted. Then, it would stop short of hitting the muffler. Still not a very good job of 'splanin', but do ya git my drift, now?
I see what you're getting at. The stand can't be disassembled. I thought about taking a piece of metal and using epoxy to achieve the same thing. It's just one of those silly problems that shouldn't happen but often does.
Chris in BC

Post by Chris in BC »

I tried gluing in a piece of metal but it didn't hold for long. Quite a bit of force there.

I did drill through the base fairly easily and then used a flat headed nail and by first putting a bend in the shank I could draw it and punch it down through the hole from the top. Hole was drilled to make a slightly snug fit.

Just the head of the nail was enough to move it away from the exhaust half an inch.
Dotted line was drill line
Dotted line was drill line
DSCN1951a.JPG (14.84 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Getting around the Ride-off
Getting around the Ride-off
DSCN1952.JPG (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
This show the bend. Previously when it rested against the Ride-off, it stuck way out and although it didn't affect normal cornering it did get in the way when you were on the bike and 'footing' it around.
The bend solved this and the nail head solved the problem of the sidestand hitting the exhaust when bike was on centre stand but sidestand was up.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

[quote="Chris in BC"]I tried gluing in a piece of metal but it didn't hold for long. Quite a bit of force there.

I did drill through the base fairly easily and then used a flat headed nail and by first putting a bend in the shank I could draw it and punch it down through the hole from the top. Hole was drilled to make a slightly snug fit.

Thanx for your post. I see how that could work. May have to go that way. :)