Browns side stand install

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
esman100

Re: Browns side stand install

Post by esman100 »

Hello ZM, I had the same problem on mine and just lived with it hitting the silencer. It didn't seem to be a problem, but if your concerned, I would either try a short piece of rubber hose or bending it to clear. I've never heard of a Brown stand failing and I don't think the warranty would cover the bike if it failed. Another option would be to contact customer service to see if they might have one that is set to stop earlier to clear the silencer.
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

esman100 wrote:Hello ZM, I had the same problem on mine and just lived with it hitting the silencer. It didn't seem to be a problem, but if your concerned, I would either try a short piece of rubber hose or bending it to clear. I've never heard of a Brown stand failing and I don't think the warranty would cover the bike if it failed. Another option would be to contact customer service to see if they might have one that is set to stop earlier to clear the silencer.
Thanx....good suggestions! Nice R90/6 BTW!
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

So far there seems to be no way of avoiding hitting the muffler when the stand is retracted. Some investigation questions the diameter of the stainless muffler. I thought this was going to be a no brainer! The shaft on the sidestand can not be bent to clear, as it is hardened. Now I'm sorry I bought the dam thing. I'm also not impressed that it only attaches to one point. the only solution I can come up with is to find a longer engine mounting shaft to extend the threaded shaft. This way I can shim the stand farther away from the frame. Finding the correct shaft might require some work unless any of you know the specifications for said shaft. :?
Scot

Post by Scot »

Zombie Master wrote:So far there seems to be no way of avoiding hitting the muffler when the stand is retracted. Some investigation questions the diameter of the stainless muffler. I thought this was going to be a no brainer! The shaft on the sidestand can not be bent to clear, as it is hardened. Now I'm sorry I bought the dam thing. I'm also not impressed that it only attaches to one point. the only solution I can come up with is to find a longer engine mounting shaft to extend the threaded shaft. This way I can shim the stand farther away from the frame. Finding the correct shaft might require some work unless any of you know the specifications for said shaft. :?

How 'bout a thin spacer . . . or even alittle weld on the area the side stand is supposed to rest against . . . oops, forgot that the Major was back . . . let me re-phrase that . . . or even alittle weld on the area, against which the stand is supposed to rest? Wouldn't that keep it away from the muffler?

Oh . . . and Kurt . . . thanks for showing me how to spell ravine. ;)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

How 'bout a thin spacer . . . or even alittle weld on the area the side stand is supposed to rest against . . . oops, forgot that the Major was back . . . let me re-phrase that . . . or even alittle weld on the area, against which the stand is supposed to rest? Wouldn't that keep it away from the muffler?

I'm all shimmed out. I've got no more threads left on the shaft, unless I want the shaft to be recessed into the nut.
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

ZM,

Can you post a picture of what you have, so far?

If it helps, I have some jam nuts of the proper thread. They are thinner than the regulars.
Zombie Master

FYI

Post by Zombie Master »

Native /5 wrote:ZM,

Can you post a picture of what you have, so far?

If it helps, I have some jam nuts of the proper thread. They are thinner than the regulars.
Mr. Taylor,
Here is what I received from our general manager.

“I can’t tell the problem without seeing the bike. About one time out of 20 we run into this. The stands are machined with consistent specs, so I believe something about the bikes causes the contact. In the past we have tried installing other side stands with no change, even though those same stands have clearance when installed on another bike. Maybe the exhaust system is aligned slightly off?

Installing a spacer or washer between the side stand mount and the frame should give the needed clearance. Another option is to put a rubber sleeve over the stand where it contacts the muffler. It will still bump, but won’t make noise. There is a BMW part we use for this. I can locate a part # if you need it.”

I hope it gives you something to go on.

00weel

Post by 00weel »

ZM,

How much spacing to give the clearace you think you need?

Someone may have already said? Looks like a pretty stout block that holds the sidestand, any chance you could machine the out side and sink the nut and locking washer allowing for more spacing on the inward side where you can still have a full threaded nut?
Chris in BC

Post by Chris in BC »

Zombie Master wrote: The shaft on the sidestand can not be bent to clear, as it is hardened. Now I'm sorry I bought the dam thing. I'm also not impressed that it only attaches to one point. the only solution I can come up with is to find a longer engine mounting shaft to extend the threaded shaft. This way I can shim the stand farther away from the frame. Finding the correct shaft might require some work unless any of you know the specifications for said shaft. :?
I disagree here. I just had mine bent to solve my problem here this week. Machine shop put a torch on it and bent it by hand the 2 inches I requested. My problem was my wife's bike R100RT came with a Ride-off stand and a Brown. When the centre stand was up the tang meant the side stand was sticking out too far.

On your problem re longer engine shaft. I went through this last year on my G/S and the crash bar/sidestand combo. I was going to try and get a longer engine shaft. My machine shop guy said why not cut it in half and just weld in a piece of correct size solid bar. He did, ground it cylindrical and in ten minutes I was back in business. Make it any length to suit your purpose..
Scot

Post by Scot »

Neil, I guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining my suggestion.

I was talking about a bit of weld or some kind of spacer to build up the area that stops the side stand when it's retracted. Then, it would stop short of hitting the muffler. Still not a very good job of 'splanin', but do ya git my drift, now?