/5 headlight ring tricks?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
duantro

/5 headlight ring tricks?

Post by duantro »

Does anyone have any methods of making these headlight rings staying on? Whenever I hit a bump the ring pops off. I've even installed a set screw on top and it still happens, but at least now I don't have to worry as much about it hitting the road and getting destroyed.
uncle mark

Re: /5 headlight ring tricks?

Post by uncle mark »

I had the same problem with the headlight ring on my /5. I finally installed the ring just right ,rotating it left and right till it caught at the top and then installed a small black zip tie at the bottom.
fig

Post by fig »

Yup, +1 on the black zip tie.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

White zip ties fail in the sunlight quickly. Black will last longer. We preferred to use safety wire.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

Duane Ausherman wrote:White zip ties fail in the sunlight quickly. Black will last longer. We preferred to use safety wire.
Yes, I would say using safety wire would be better than using danger wire. Need to be very careful of that danger wire stuff.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Jeff in W.C. wrote:
Duane Ausherman wrote:White zip ties fail in the sunlight quickly. Black will last longer. We preferred to use safety wire.
Yes, I would say using safety wire would be better than using danger wire. Need to be very careful of that danger wire stuff.
I'm usually satisfied with non-threatening wire.
MS - out
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Wire you guys making such a big deal out of this? Clearly, two wraps of duct tape will keep the ring on.

Chuey
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Chuey wrote:Wire you guys making such a big deal out of this? Clearly, two wraps of duct tape will keep the ring on.

Chuey
REALLY? Mister "I Know So Much!"

You have done the carefully controlled testing to prove that 1 wrap is insufficient and 3 wraps is superfluous?

Edit: AND the testing to determine that 2 wraps is certain to be adequate??????
MS - out
equipo5

Post by equipo5 »

That was happening to my/5 too.

I noticed a flat spot on the top part of the rim of the shell. I gingerly bent the flat spot out using multi grips, working around the shell creating slight ridge for the rim to hang on to. I imagine it was how it was supposed to be.
Its not up and running yet so I cant say if it is the answer but now it's a bit of a challenge to get the headlight off!
Cheers
1970 R75/5
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:
Chuey wrote:Wire you guys making such a big deal out of this? Clearly, two wraps of duct tape will keep the ring on.

Chuey
REALLY? Mister "I Know So Much!"

You have done the carefully controlled testing to prove that 1 wrap is insufficient and 3 wraps is superfluous?

Edit: AND the testing to determine that 2 wraps is certain to be adequate??????
I'm wondering fuse two really know anything about wrapping things up?
Last edited by ME 109 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lord of the Bings