Oil Level (Not an Oil Thread)

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
barryh

Re: Oil Level (Not an Oil Thread)

Post by barryh »

pmonk wrote:Finally had the guts to fill the /6 with Mobil 1 V twin oil. All the seals on the old motor had been replaced. My perception is that I am using less oil. Totally unsubstantiated logic is that it foams less therefore blows less out the vent. Anyway the good news is it isn't leaking from every engine seal the way I was warned it would.
I've been running "full synthetic" for several year with no problems and that's on the original seals.

It's makes me smile when I read the dire warnings about using synthetic. It so rarely applies these days because majority of oils marketed as synthetic are in fact not. They are highly refined Group 3 mineral oils or Group 3+ GTL oils derived from gas. They are really excellent oils and they are what I use but they are not synthetic in the original meaning of the word. The top tier very expensive oils are still truly fully synthetic but that no longer includes for example all of the Mobil 1 range. Not sure where Mobil 1 V twin stands in this respect but if it's very expensive then it's probably full synthetic. The truth is it doesn't matter. Good oil is good oil.
barry
Cheshire
England
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

barryh wrote:
pmonk wrote:Finally had the guts to fill the /6 with Mobil 1 V twin oil. All the seals on the old motor had been replaced. My perception is that I am using less oil. Totally unsubstantiated logic is that it foams less therefore blows less out the vent. Anyway the good news is it isn't leaking from every engine seal the way I was warned it would.
I've been running "full synthetic" for several year with no problems and that's on the original seals.

It's makes me smile when I read the dire warnings about using synthetic. It so rarely applies these days because majority of oils marketed as synthetic are in fact not. They are highly refined Group 3 mineral oils or Group 3+ GTL oils derived from gas. They are really excellent oils and they are what I use but they are not synthetic in the original meaning of the word. The top tier very expensive oils are still truly fully synthetic but that no longer includes for example all of the Mobil 1 range. Not sure where Mobil 1 V twin stands in this respect but if it's very expensive then it's probably full synthetic. The truth is it doesn't matter. Good oil is good oil.
I wasn't even aware that Mobil 1 still had a full synthetic, which is ironic since they were the ones that sued (and lost) to get the other manufacturers to stop calling their lesser oils "synthetic." I haven't seen full synthetic Mobil 1 in the stores for years.

Royal Purple, Spectro, Amsoil, and Motul all still offer the real thing, but I don't know who all the others are who do.
MS - out
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

An old friend is the Spectro distributor for the Ohio region. I wish that he were here to explain it. He is really into the theory.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
barryh

Post by barryh »

Major Softie wrote:
I wasn't even aware that Mobil 1 still had a full synthetic, which is ironic since they were the ones that sued (and lost) to get the other manufacturers to stop calling their lesser oils "synthetic." I haven't seen full synthetic Mobil 1 in the stores for years.

I know , I was just being Kind to the OP.
barry
Cheshire
England
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

Good point there Ken.
Can't try the mobile 1 stuff. I have a main seal leak that's been leaking ever since I ve had this gal. I did buy the rear oil seal several years ago but never put it in. However, I did get the flywheel hold down and removal tool from cycle works last month and have watched some video on how to replace it so I will probably take on the task this summer (yes I know, BLOCK THE CRANK) will also replace the oil pump O ring seal as well
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Slipping off the cliff into a full blown Oil Thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LgMVf52NAQ
1975 R90/6
1979 R65