Oil Level (Not an Oil Thread)

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
KellyVB 75R90S

Oil Level (Not an Oil Thread)

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

I was told several years ago to keep the motor oil level about midway between Min and Max on the stick. Anybody else do that on their Airheads?
jimmyg

Re: Oil Level (Not an Oil Thread)

Post by jimmyg »

Affirmative.

With the stock oil pan on my '74 R90s, (about 2.6 quarts), if I fill it up to the top of the dipstick, it moves to the middle and basically stays there for 2-3 thousand miles, or until the next oil change.

I gave up many years ago......:)

jimmyg
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Midway is plenty of oil.

One day my mechanic came to me while doing a tune up. He said that the engine began making a funny noise as he was tuning the carbs. I asked if he had checked the oil level and "no" he hadn't. Nothing was showing on the dip stick. He drained it out and it only had about 1/5th of a quart in it. That was a slash 2, which will run on less oil that the /5 and later. The owner had just arrived in SF from NY on a very long distance run. He had been on the highway for many days without checking the oil.

If the oil is at least at the bottom of the dip stick it will be OK in normal operations. I would want it up to the top if riding across Death Valley.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

I have also been using MOA from BG Products foe many years when ever I change the oil. (it was recommended by the BMW dealer) Anyone else use that stuff?
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

KellyVB 75R90S wrote:I have also been using MOA from BG Products foe many years when ever I change the oil. (it was recommended by the BMW dealer) Anyone else use that stuff?
So much for this not being an oil thread.

If oil manufacturers thought there was any value in oil supplements, they'd be selling them to us.
MS - out
barryh

Post by barryh »

Major Softie wrote:
If oil manufacturers thought there was any value in oil supplements, they'd be selling them to us.
Absolutely.

Any supplements that the engine needs are already in quality oil and adding anything else can do harm by reducing the performance of the original oil. This subject is incredibly complex and frankly you should only listen to professional triboligists. BMW dealers don't come near to qualifying.
barry
Cheshire
England
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Major Softie wrote:
KellyVB 75R90S wrote:I have also been using MOA from BG Products foe many years when ever I change the oil. (it was recommended by the BMW dealer) Anyone else use that stuff?
So much for this not being an oil thread. . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

IT is NOT an oil thread... Point taken, This subject is CLOSED... :lol:
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

KellyVB 75R90S wrote:IT is NOT an oil thread... Point taken, This subject is CLOSED... :lol:
Ah, but that's part of the beauty and attraction of Boxerworks. Nothing is ever closed as long as somebody has something they want to say. And as the Major said it, more or less, thread degradation here at Boxerworks is pretty much regarded as an art form.

Ken

Post by pmonk »

Finally had the guts to fill the /6 with Mobil 1 V twin oil. All the seals on the old motor had been replaced. My perception is that I am using less oil. Totally unsubstantiated logic is that it foams less therefore blows less out the vent. Anyway the good news is it isn't leaking from every engine seal the way I was warned it would.