Wheel Recall ( Snowflake ) - The Definitive Truth

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Wobbly

Re: Wheel Recall ( Snowflake ) - The Definitive Truth

Post by Wobbly »

This is an excellent thread ! And thanks to the OP for the thoroughly complete record of his adventure.

You might have guessed why I'm so interested in this subject. Yep, I'm the 3rd owner of a 1979 RT with a un-gussetted cast front wheel dated 1/79 !! My adventure begins tomorrow AM. Wish me luck.

;)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome to the forum, Wobbly!

Have you met The Veg? How about Matt (the owner of the forum)?
They are both in "North Georgia".

You sound experienced. Always a welcome change!
Rob V
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Thanks for the welcome. I don't know those aliases but live close to and have been over to BoxerWorks in Wintersville. I worked on bikes back in the 60's and 70's, so have met a lot of the older players in the Atlanta bike scene. Now a retired engineer, and play around at a local vintage shop. That's how I keep rear tires on my 2 Airheads !!

Photos...

And thanks again.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Why take a chance? Paint the wheels with aluminum paint or whatever color you like a be done with it?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Good news today ! Acting on the information the OP furnished earlier in the thread, BMW is giving me a new (gold) snowflake wheel as a replacement. Whahoo !!

:D
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

^^ winner. Gold? Is that what you needed is it all they have left?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I struck GOLD !
Took my RT to the local BMW dealership this morning and they were as nice as they could be. It took several hours, but in the end a brand new wheel, bearings, axle, seals, spacers and inner tube were installed (along with my new tire) and balanced. All at zero cost to me. They showed me the bill and the total was well over $1000 for parts and labor. :o
Photo
Many thanks to the OP for documenting this.
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Rob wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 amHave you met The Veg? How about Matt (the owner of the forum)?
They are both in "North Georgia".
I don't think we've met. I've only been in the Atlanta area for about 9 years. Wobbly, where so you live? I'm between Lawrenceville and Buford. It would be a pleasure to meet you sometime.

Interesting thread too!
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Moved to Cornelia after 25 years in Suwanee.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I too still have the "recalled" wheels for my r100 cs. After 60k miles on them - who really knows if they will really fail. I can understand the safe than sorry. As far as I know, the fast i have ever ridden is 115. I don't trust tires beyond that anyway. glad you got yours. I am glad I still ride mine as it was intended.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.