New to the K

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
Gibson

New to the K

Post by Gibson »

Hey guys, been riding the K75 around quite a bit. Like it a lot, but not ever having owned one of these I am curious about a few things. It sounds a little pingy just off idle. I noticed the throttle body idle screws were open 3 full turns. I closed them down to about 3/4 turn and it runs better and pops much less on deceleration. Is a very slight off idle rattle normal?
Also, I hear that break in time is rather long on these, It says in the owners handbook to run under 4500 rpm for the first thousand miles or so. When is it ok to switch to synthetic oil?
A clock is great, but why military time? ;) Is this a setting thing?
Thanks all.
robert

Re: New to the K

Post by robert »

I worked at a dealership when the K75s first came out. I replaced several motors because of excess oil consumption as the rings never seated. The best K bikes were run hard from day one. Every one of the oil burners were ridden according to the manual. Nothing wrong with using red line after the first few miles.
Bill Smith

Post by Bill Smith »

Europe tends to use 24 hour time, my Mini's clock came that way also. Understand I haven't tried it, but this link deals with converting the K clock to 24 hour.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/12-hour-clock.shtml

IBMWR and Motobrick are a wealth of knowledge and experience.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

robert wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm I worked at a dealership when the K75s first came out. I replaced several motors because of excess oil consumption as the rings never seated. The best K bikes were run hard from day one. Every one of the oil burners were ridden according to the manual. Nothing wrong with using red line after the first few miles.
Hey Thanks, no oil burning at all. It runs strong and revs like a Ferrari.

As far as the clock, I think rather than mess with a almost perfect stock bike, I think I am getting used to the military time thing.