K75 new but used

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
Gibson

Re: K75 new but used

Post by Gibson »

IMG_3455 K75.JPG
IMG_3455 K75.JPG (41.28 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
Thanks, just wondering if it should spin over easy in 5th gear turning the rear wheel? I know there is a lot of reduction and gears..
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I mean with the spark plugs out of coarse. The oil was very thick.

A locksmith was able to make a working key from the seat lock tumbler. It apparently uses all 6 leafs, it cost 90 bucks though...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gibson wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:17 pm ...it cost 90 bucks though...
Did you tell him to have a nice weekend? ;)
Rob V
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Yes I did, that is actually not a bad price. Very good auto locksmith.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

The main issue: Is it going to turn over fast enough to start ? You may need to go visit one of your racing buddies and use his "rollers" to jump it off in high gear by powering the rear wheel.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Got the new fuel pump assy in and new battery. It cranks over fine. Have to put in some fresh gas and see if it will fire up. Also have ABS warning. Did re set, but it is still flashing. This thing is like the lunar module compared to my air head! :)
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Hello all, I got the bike to fire and run, but it will not run on its own. I used starter fluid injected through the oil breather input to the air box. It is running too lean to keep running on its own. Is it likely that the injectors are gummed up from sitting so long? It is pumping a lot of fuel out of the new pump. I guess I should measure the fuel pressure at the rail to test the regulator, then all that's left are the injectors?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Oh hell yes, the injectors will need cleaning.
They are your carburetors.
Rob V
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Thanks Rob!
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

This is what I was telling you !!

It's not going to run well until you get it out on the highway and run it 15-25 miles. You'll want to run a name-brand, high test, Top Tier fuel with built-in cleaners which you purchase the day of the ride. Fuels like Chevron and Shell have all that built in and will clean the injector system as you ride. It can't over-heat with water cooling.

Put some NEW NGK plugs in there and take it for a long ride.

When you get back, THEN you can worry about idle characteristics.

https://www.toptiergas.com/
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !