K75 new but used

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
Gibson

Re: K75 new but used

Post by Gibson »

Thanks wobbly, I know :D . These things are always a can of worms. Machine will not run. If it did I would have taken it out for a clearing out. I dropped the injectors off to have them cleaned at a local guy who does a lot of this stuff. Sitting for all those years had them plugged up good.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Gibson wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:07 pm These things are always a can of worms. Machine will not run.
That's how the bike got its name..... Kan of Verms :lol:
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Bike runs great! I rode it 50 miles. I am very impressed with the K bike. I have been riding airheads all these years. Didn't even know what I was missing. I LOVE this bike!! :D
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Za can of verms is open. Water pump seal will need replacing. I've got 1400 miles now. Runs great, but dripping out of weep hole. Seal kit ordered and I started the job last night...
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Two quick ideas for you....

► I work extensively on classic and vintage bikes. The number 1 issue owners find is that oil seals and o-rings have hardened over the intervening years. You'll be 'money ahead' to simply replace all the seals and o-rings you encounter on your way in to replace the culprit seal.

► Installing new oil seals (especially expensive oil seals from BMW) will be greatly simplified if you'll order a tiny tube of a product named "P80". This stuff looks like skimmed milk. You apply P80 all over the portion of the seal that comes in contact with the housing, and you'll be able to push the seal in with your thumbs for the next 15 seconds. It will pay for itself by allowing you to put away the hammer, and install seals straight in, with zero damage. It's really miracle stuff.

https://p80lubricants.com/
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Cool, Thanks again Wobbly! I am amazed at how new the shaft and all pump internals look. Absolutely no rust! I guess that BMW's factory coolant kept the corrosion at bay. There was a white gritty deposit coating the impeller. I think some particles got into the seal.
Do you happen to know if Motobins seal kit has the new updated main water pump seal? The new style seal does not rely on the shaft surface integrity as much to seal correctly.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Gibson wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:22 am Do you happen to know if Motobins seal kit has the new updated main water pump seal? The new style seal does not rely on the shaft surface integrity as much to seal correctly.
No, sorry. That is beyond the extent of my knowledge.

We have only one K bike in our circle of pals and that's a K1200RS "Checker Cab" owned by my crazy brother. He bought a R1100S boxer, then he bought an oilhead RT, then he saw the K and had to have it. After not riding for 35 years, now 3 bikes in 2 years... and he's age 71. He seems bent on spending everything and going fast while he can ! :lol:
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Hey Wobbly, that P80 stuff sounds really great. I started looking for it to buy a tube but they seem to have a lot of products. Did find one called IPC-P80 emulsion temporary assembly and pump seal lubricant, is that the right stuff? A white squeeze tube with green writing.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Yeah, that's the stuff.

Amazon Link

This stuff is magic. On fork seals where there's a 1/2 inch of seal engagement, you simply apply this and push the seal in with your fingers. Once you try this stuff, you'll never install another seal without it.

My wacko brother bought a big bottle and uses it to mount tires !
Bob Distelcamp

Post by Bob Distelcamp »

When you say the Hamptons, As in NY? I would go slow, Being from NY myself there has been flooding out on the Island.
check EVERYTHING, then do it again. Best of luck. I love my K1100RS. and yes it's a bit heavy.