K100 Standard first release 11/83

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
boxertwinjeff

K100 Standard first release 11/83

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Hi, Is this first release K sort after by enthusiasts or collectors?.... I have acquired one from a friend, but don't really
want to keep it as I have 2 bikes already. It appears to be in pretty reasonable condition, but has sat for 4 years undercover
and has not been started since it was parked up. what would most likely be the issues needing sorting to get her running
again? she has 95,000 Original Kilometres on the clock, would it be worthwhile getting it running to obtain a much
better sale price, or not worth the hassle for the little extra money it might bring? Cheers Jeff.
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Major Softie

Re: K100 Standard first release 11/83

Post by Major Softie »

No, they are not sought after by collectors, at least not yet. Some think the first year is the best K100, but I'm not sure of all the reasons. Veg had one, so he may have the details.

They are pretty indestructible. There's a good chance that fresh gas and a battery is all you'll need to get it running, and that would certainly be worth doing to make it more desirable to a buyer. It's not just the fact that it's worth more, it's also that fact that many buyers simply won't consider a bike that isn't running. I'd dump the tank, put some fresh gas in, and jump start the thing. If it starts up okay, put a new battery in it and sell it. Heck, it might even hold enough of a charge for a day or two and you won't even have to put a battery in it.

If it starts and runs but just seems to run a little rough, try a can of injector cleaner in the tank. But, then you'll have to ride it around a while for the cleaner to do any good.
MS - out
boxertwinjeff

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Thanks for the advice Major,... I think I'll do just that.
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

Add some Techron or fuel injector cleaner to the fuel. Sitting idle for a few years is not a good thing and ethanol can really mess up the fuel lines and cause injector problems.
boxertwinjeff

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Id say for sure that Ethanol fuel was NEVER used...Riders over in Oz stay well clear of it
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke